Need TNT ham recipe - but not sweet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I've been trying to find a new ham recipe (half ham shanks are on sale this week for 99 cents/lb.), but it seems all of my searches come up with a sweet sauce. dh won't touch any meat with sweetness to it, and my older boy is his father's son. (yes, I know, they're from another planet, imo)

Any ideas?

I made a ham with a recipe from the food network last Easter. It had a tangerine glaze but you mentioned no sweet. The first part of the recipe called for making a paste of olive oil and sage. The ham looked perfect without adding the glaze at the end.

Can't you just heat it through and serve some interesting sides with it? The smokiness usually pairs well with something cheesy. We do cheesy scalloped potatoes to go with and serve a really fresh green salad and usually the cooked veg would be something like broccoli that goes well with the cheese sauce in the potatoes.

Suggestions...

Go with a mustard/black pepper (horseradish) rub/sauce & cook in beer - i.e.

Fresh Ham with Cracklings and Pan Gravy

Boiled Shank Ham with Beer

Wanted to say raisin sauce, but that's on the sweet side.

Cook it as a roast, perhaps, in the CP - w onions/leeks, carrots, potatoes or cabbage or brussels sprouts.

Cooked ham can be added to a noodle dish - fettucinne alfredo with peas etc.

Or - ham sandwiches, quiche, scrambled eggs.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
ham

Here in Michigan I got in on the ham sale 2 weeks ago for 99c. I just put it in the crockpot all day with nothing on it. We ate it with baked squash and homemade rye bread, and broccoli the first night. Divine! Then I took the bone out and made a huge pot of pea soup for the next two days worth of meals. I cut the rest of the ham into 4 pieces and packaged them up for later use. We had ham and potato hash one night, ham in the fried rice for a Chinese night eating. We're going to have scalloped potatoes and ham in a couple weeks, and I'm just parsing out the remaining little bit into omelets for breakfast and ham salad sandwiches
The whole thing was wonderful and the plain wonderful flavor of the ham was out of this world. Don't put anything on it.
(the reason ours lasts so long is there's only 2 of us. It would have been gone instantly if my son and family had come over for dinner that first night.

Many lovely ideas, thank you!
Yep, Bob, mustard is my usual way to prepare, and it's always a good choice!
I like the horseradish idea as well - interesting!

I love all of the ideas, however, many must be kept to just me, as I also don't use cheese on any dinners, as one boy doesn't care for it. At least he eats everything else.

I've been trying to find a new ham recipe (half ham shanks are on sale this week for 99 cents/lb.), but it seems all of my searches come up with a sweet sauce. dh won't touch any meat with sweetness to it, and my older boy is his father's son. (yes, I know, they're from another planet, imo)

Any ideas?

Start with dijon mustard, some oil, orange juice, clove, black pepper. score the ham, baste put it in the oven baste every 1/2 hour.

I don't consider the orange juice to be "sweet" it will add a nice citrus bite to the mix and will candy up slightly to stick to the ham.

OR, put the ham in large dutch oven, bake until about done. Cover with sour kraut and put some halved potatoes in.. finish baking(potatoes are done)..

Last edited:
When I was a kid, we just used to roast a leg of ham, studded with cloves, in an oven bag. No sauce of any description, just a bit of hot mustard offered for the plate. (My parents didn't like sauce except for the odd bit of HP sauce and even odder, tomato sauce. Only time we got gravy was with a roast chicken/lamb/beef dinner.) The flavour was/is just lovely though.

How bout an Asian influence using Hoisin sauce as the rub? Be different and isn't sweet.

Crockpot ham

Here in Michigan I got in on the ham sale 2 weeks ago for 99c. I just put it in the crockpot all day with nothing on it. We ate it with baked squash and homemade rye bread, and broccoli the first night. Divine! Then I took the bone out and made a huge pot of pea soup for the next two days worth of meals. I cut the rest of the ham into 4 pieces and packaged them up for later use. We had ham and potato hash one night, ham in the fried rice for a Chinese night eating. We're going to have scalloped potatoes and ham in a couple weeks, and I'm just parsing out the remaining little bit into omelets for breakfast and ham salad sandwiches
The whole thing was wonderful and the plain wonderful flavor of the ham was out of this world. Don't put anything on it.
(the reason ours lasts so long is there's only 2 of us. It would have been gone instantly if my son and family had come over for dinner that first night.

I am really confused. You put the ham "alone" in the crockpot? Not any kind of broth or anything?

I am really confused. You put the ham "alone" in the crockpot? Not any kind of broth or anything?

Hi and welcome from me too Ana. Yes, I'm quite sure she didn't add any broth, ect. to the ham in the crockpot. It will produce just the right amount of it's own liquid as it cooks, without diluting the flavor.

You're right RT, it's true that many store bought hams are "fully cooked" to be safe to eat, however most people cook a ham to 140 degrees when they bring it home. I normally don't like crockpots, but the no liquid with the ham seems like a good application.
I do my crockpot Kalua Pig without any liquid at all, and it turns out with just the right amount of liquid.

Wow, some old names popping up. I miss jkath and Bob.

Sorry, I miss Miss jkath, right Unka Bob?

I'm going to have to try the crockpot ham thing. That reminds me; I have to order our Christmas ham soon. It's getting more difficult to find our fave: a Dietz and Watson brand ham. So far we have 17 people coming for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom