"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 AM   #11
Cook

Look at the pork you are getting!!!!! Most of it has far more salt already then a salt lick!! Saline it a common pork additive to add weight, water, and tenderness to most pork..;look at the classifacations for hams to understand it more....

The Tot

Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Um, sorry, Tater Tot, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say?

Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I wouldn't brine either. Sometimes brining (pork) will give it a hammy taste.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Now I KNOW I did the right thing! Tx, Raine!

PS - Give that sauce a try sometime - it's yummy.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

a few weeks ago I would have voted not to brine, but a recent grilling experiience showed me how valuable a tool it is to really bring the flavor of the meat out. even if you just "marinated the pork in olive oil salt and pepper, the flavor would be nicely enriched. Dry the meat before grilling.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Um, sorry, Tater Tot, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say?
Maybe I can decypher his thoughts .... I think what he was trying to say was look at the package. Pork sold in the butcher counter (where they wrap and weigh it for you) and cuts that are shrink wrapped in a plastic boat are generally not messed with (no additives). But, if it comes in a cryovac package ... you have to read the label to see what you're getting. Like hams - many have added water and salt. If the ingredients include added water and salt - brining wouldn't accomplish much since it is already essentially brined.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:00 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Maybe I can decypher his thoughts .... I think what he was trying to say was look at the package. Pork sold in the butcher counter (where they wrap and weigh it for you) and cuts that are shrink wrapped in a plastic boat are generally not messed with (no additives). But, if it comes in a cryovac package ... you have to read the label to see what you're getting. Like hams - many have added water and salt. If the ingredients include added water and salt - brining wouldn't accomplish much since it is already essentially brined.
Im sorry If I was too missleading.... That was not my intent..Just look at the meat you are cooking...MOST ALL pork now is pre brined to a point.. The same as most all chicken is bined with added chicken broth and sometimes pork fat added to add flavor.. Like Michael said Read the package...Look for the key words up to a ??% souloution added, and what the it is..

Sorry to confuse you...

The ToT
Old 08-19-2005, 05:10 AM   #18
Executive Chef

All my meat is organic, bought from a local butcher who also farms in the area. No added water, no additives to chickens - just organic, corn-fed birds. Steaks are great, lamb too. His bacon comes from Ayrshire and is IMO the finest in the land!

If I WANT flavours (broth added to a chicken before you buy?!!!) I'll add them!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Now I get it - Tx, Michael and TaterTot - I've not noticed anything on packages of meat here, except for the ones that are cryovac'ed and already marinated.

I probably would have brined bigger pieces of pork, but these were tenderloins that I'd butterflied and then pounded out thin, and skewered (think chickan satay), so they were really on the grill only about 3 minutes total.

Tags
None