"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You can still do the marinade (teriyaki, white wine, pineapple juice) just don't make the salsa to go with it. Yes, acidity is a tenderizer.

We had the power go out once and I used my bamboo steamer to cook the tenderloin (gas stove). Placed the steamer above some water in a wok and it cooked beautifully - extremely tender!

I don't really think about an au jus/gravy when making a tenderloin. You could remove the tenderloin and heat your pan and add a bit of beef broth and water to deglaze then add a pat or two of butter to make that broth shiny and give it just a bit of body. Other than that I wouldn't do much of anything. Do this part on the stovetop.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Pork loin can be super simple.

If you don't like strong spicy or garlicky flavors, caramelized apples will be the perfect accompaniment. I also dig pears with pork.

I sear my tenderloins first, but that's optional. Then it goes in the roasting pan and into the oven. I like to serve them on little galettes of shredded potato, crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Top with caramelized apples or whatever you like. Always deglaze searing pan and use it for....something, maybe as a place to cook potatoes or as a sauce.

Caviar raised what I feel is an important, albeit only tangentially-related point with his mention of the tossing of the veggies from the pan. Always try to build flavor as you cook, retain flavor, focus flavor. If you cook x with y, it might not be a good idea to just toss x when you serve y. This is a tough idea for me to describe as my experience is from home and not CIA, lol. Someone else can probably explain it better, but just general, in the kitchen, you should always be focusing on building flavors throughout the construction of a dish. Use things like said veggies to build a sauce or flavor an accompanying item. The tricky part is building flavor but keeping heavyness to a minimum, I don't always get that part right, lol.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
Think I want cast iron or stainless...]
Cast Iron hands down! I've been using cast iron skillet to roast chicken in for years. I don't usually use a rack to roast on at home, as I don't have anything that would fit, but a round wire cake rack might work.

The sauteed apples would be a great addition for pork. So would a chunky "chutney" or sorts, made from various dried fruits. Normally I would start that by sauteing some onions, but since you can't handle that, just simmer the fruit(s) in some apple juice.

I've also roasted a pork loin that was rubbed with dijon mustard. My other half loved it.

Tags
None