Odor of pork loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b262005

Assistant Cook
How does one get rid of the smell of pork loin after it has been roasted? Mine still has that distinct smell of pork loin. I know the meat is not spoiled.

Hi, b262005. Welcome to Discuss Cooking. You'll like it here.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the smell of pork loin'. What should it smell like?

It has a funny smell, not like that of a pork chop, it's difficult to discribe.

Did it smell like this before you roasted it?

Did you use a marinade or rub that could have influenced the smell?

How long ago did you roast it?

I just put some cavenders, salt, pepper, and Lea Perrin, then roast at 350 for 2 hrs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

in think i know what you are talking about. there was a thread about a year ago about the smell of pork. a member said that pork smelled like the feces that they wallow in. now, feces shouldn't have come in contact in any way with the meat, therefore, i doubt it "flavored" it. but i have noticed that occasionally, pork that i made at home had a slightly gamey or unpleasent smell to it, even after cooking thoroughly. sort of like the smell of a dead carcass, but not nearly as bad. so i think it was just the natural gamey odor of an otherwise good piece of pork. it may have been was an anomaly (just one bad pig in the sty), or possibly, from the diet the pigs ate just before butchering.
the only way that i know how to get rid of unwanted smells or strong odors/flavors of meat or fish is to soak it in either whole or butter milk overnight. this works well with shark and bluefish, so it might work with pork. i doubt there's anything you can do after it is cooked, except to spice the heck out of it. lots of hot sauce and peppers should keep your schnozz from detecting it.

In spite of the fact that I'm a smoker, I have a very sensitive sniffer. I know exactly what you are talking about. I especially notice it the next day when the pork is reheated. I know the scent is a little funky, but that's just the way pork smells...especially a large piece of meat. That's why a lot of our leftover pork ends up being sliced thinly and cooked with Maull's BBQ Sauce for sandwiches. You can use the sauce of your choice, but that one makes awfully good "BBQ's".
I find that all meat kinda stinks, really. Have you ever smelled a box of chickens? Or ground beef that's been in the fridge for a couple of days? :sick:
It hasn't stopped me from being a carnivore, though.

for sure if reheated pork roast starts to be gamey, and it can as it dries out for whatever reason, turn it into a meat pot pie, or a great bbq sliced or pulled with a favorite sauce. Also good for a fried rice stir fry ... which was invented to use leftovers btw!

This is what I have been told

I asked a man I cooked with one day what that smell was coming from bacon. He asked a farmer that lived near him and the farmer said when they butcher the pig, sometimes they cut through the bladder causing urine to spread over the meat. It is a very sharp smell when cooking. I have cooked alot of pork in my time and I do not smell it as often as I do in foodservice. If you wash off the pork before you cook it you normally wont notice it at all. The farmer said to do the same thing as the butcher is supposted to rinse off the meat if he cuts open the bladder. This all sounds a bit gross but urine is not a contaminate just like human urine. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting ill from the serving of the pork with that odor. Ive been in foodservice for 20 years. I would like to know if anyone else has heard the same.

Just roasted a loin last night(again, I love pork loin).

I just opened the ziplock I had my lunch in (leftover pork loin sandwiches). All I smelled was GOOD..

Now for the sauce on the cold pork, a friend gave me some Big Bob Gibson Habanero sauce. It's just nicely spicy, not too hot. The flavor is fantastic on cold pork!!! (probably hot pork too...:chef:)

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q: <B>Habanero Red Sauce<BR>1 - 19 oz. Bottle</b>

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom