"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Odor of pork loin

How does one get rid of the smell of pork loin after it has been roasted? Mine still has that distinct smell of pork loin. I know the meat is not spoiled.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, b262005. Welcome to Discuss Cooking. You'll like it here.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the smell of pork loin'. What should it smell like?

Old 12-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It has a funny smell, not like that of a pork chop, it's difficult to discribe.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Did it smell like this before you roasted it?

Did you use a marinade or rub that could have influenced the smell?

How long ago did you roast it?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I just put some cavenders, salt, pepper, and Lea Perrin, then roast at 350 for 2 hrs. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

If it smelled OK before, I cannot guess what the smell is. Sorry.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I'm like Andy & have no clue! I've rosted several pork loins & they all have just smelled like pork.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

in think i know what you are talking about. there was a thread about a year ago about the smell of pork. a member said that pork smelled like the feces that they wallow in. now, feces shouldn't have come in contact in any way with the meat, therefore, i doubt it "flavored" it. but i have noticed that occasionally, pork that i made at home had a slightly gamey or unpleasent smell to it, even after cooking thoroughly. sort of like the smell of a dead carcass, but not nearly as bad. so i think it was just the natural gamey odor of an otherwise good piece of pork. it may have been was an anomaly (just one bad pig in the sty), or possibly, from the diet the pigs ate just before butchering.
the only way that i know how to get rid of unwanted smells or strong odors/flavors of meat or fish is to soak it in either whole or butter milk overnight. this works well with shark and bluefish, so it might work with pork. i doubt there's anything you can do after it is cooked, except to spice the heck out of it. lots of hot sauce and peppers should keep your schnozz from detecting it.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

In spite of the fact that I'm a smoker, I have a very sensitive sniffer. I know exactly what you are talking about. I especially notice it the next day when the pork is reheated. I know the scent is a little funky, but that's just the way pork smells...especially a large piece of meat. That's why a lot of our leftover pork ends up being sliced thinly and cooked with Maull's BBQ Sauce for sandwiches. You can use the sauce of your choice, but that one makes awfully good "BBQ's".
I find that all meat kinda stinks, really. Have you ever smelled a box of chickens? Or ground beef that's been in the fridge for a couple of days?
It hasn't stopped me from being a carnivore, though.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

for sure if reheated pork roast starts to be gamey, and it can as it dries out for whatever reason, turn it into a meat pot pie, or a great bbq sliced or pulled with a favorite sauce. Also good for a fried rice stir fry ... which was invented to use leftovers btw!

Tags
None