"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Ribs can still be mighty tasty without the smoke flavor, from fire or bottle. I roast a batch with a seasoned rub, wrap some of the racks in foil, freeze some and finish some with tasty sauce in a 375 degree oven. It has been known to happen that a frozen slab has been thawed and plopped on the outside grill for a time with sauce to finish cooking. In your kitchen you can do what you want.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not since it requires special equipment but the last couple times I've done baby backs I've cooked them sous vide. I make a rib rub which I liberal coat the ribs with. Then I freeze BBQ sauce in an ice cube tray- this allows me to vacuum seal the ribs with the sauce in them without the sauce getting sucked into the sealer. Then all you do is cook them in your sous vide cooker at 133 degrees F for three days! You can brush 'em with BBQ sauce and finish 'em under the broiler to get that nice crust.

3 days? So... this is not an impulse meal?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
3 days? So... this is not an impulse meal?
Only if you run under Low Impulse Power.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Only if you run under Low Impulse Power.

Are we having a Star Trek moment?

Seriously, I would hardly call cooking the ribs for three days in a water bath and finishing in the oven what the OP had in mind
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Are we having a Star Trek moment?

Seriously, I would hardly call cooking the ribs for three days in a water bath and finishing in the oven what the OP had in mind
Always
Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Senior Cook

See Alton's "Back yard baby-backs", on the food channel recipe site.
I use the rub, modified by substituting splenda for the sugar (Low carber) and adding celery salt.I call it love potion #9. Rub and refrigernate over night in foil. Cut the rack in half before rubbing/foiling to make the weight more manageable.
Use juice from an orange, together with half cup of lime juice and forth cup of triple sec for liquid, add to the foil pack(s), bake for 3 hours in the oven at 250. save, and reduce the sauce, as in the AB recipe, and char on the grill for a few minutes. AWESOME!
Usually make some cole slaw to go with it.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
I use the rub, modified by substituting splenda for the sugar (Low carber) and adding celery salt.I call it love potion #9. Rub and refrigernate over night in foil. Cut the rack in half before rubbing/foiling to make the weight more manageable.
Use juice from an orange, together with half cup of lime juice and forth cup of triple sec for liquid, add to the foil pack(s), bake for 3 hours in the oven at 250. save, and reduce the sauce, as in the AB recipe, and char on the grill for a few minutes. AWESOME!
That sounds really good! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
Wow, missed this one! I'm a low-carb guy, too. I'd love to get your recipe.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Master Chef

I've gotten busy (that new dog thing) and now it is warm enough to -- gasp!-- grill them outside! I'm so happy! I'll bear all of this in mind when winter's gales are blowing next year. My thing about liquid smoke is that my ex husband (now, remember, this was 35 years ago and a very short marriage) used to like to pour it into everything (he had no taste buds, neither did any of his family) and it had a really chemical flavor. I'm sure the stuff has improved (and my life, since I acquired a husband who loves to eat good food and cook, some 30 years ago).
Old 04-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I've gotten busy (that new dog thing) and now it is warm enough to -- gasp!-- grill them outside! I'm so happy! I'll bear all of this in mind when winter's gales are blowing next year. My thing about liquid smoke is that my ex husband (now, remember, this was 35 years ago and a very short marriage) used to like to pour it into everything (he had no taste buds, neither did any of his family) and it had a really chemical flavor. I'm sure the stuff has improved (and my life, since I acquired a husband who loves to eat good food and cook, some 30 years ago).

I use liquid smoke from time to time and, used in reasonable quantities, it provides a nice smoke flavor with no chemical taste. It's basically just smoke that has been bubbled through water and bottled.

Tags
oven