Oven barbecued ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a special on Liquid Smoke and how it is made and Andy's right, Liquid Smoke is actual smoke. I don't remember if it is bubbled through water or condensated, but it's pretty pure stuff. I'm not sure where the chemical taste came from. Maybe you didn't like the flavor (which was just hickory back then)? It is strong stuff though. A little goes a long way.
Before I had my smoker and now have wood chips around, I would set a pie tin on one of my grill's burners with water and several drops of LS in it. It added a nice hickory flavor and I even used to get smoke rings on my ribs.

I use liquid smoke from time to time and, used in reasonable quantities, it provides a nice smoke flavor with no chemical taste. It's basically just smoke that has been bubbled through water and bottled.

Yeah, I found that out and promptly bought a bottle. Who'd a thunk. I was sure it was some weird, artificial concoction.

Do you folks not remove the membrane from your back and spare ribs?

Craig

Do you folks not remove the membrane from your back and spare ribs?

Craig

I don't have a membrane on my back. :ohmy:

There is regular discussion of whether or not it's necessary to remove the membrane from ribs. Some do, some don't. I'm not sure it's necessary. I have done it both ways (with baby backs) and couldn't say I noticed a difference.

Ditto. I do remove the membrane, but I'm not sure there is much of a difference since there is very little meat on the back of the ribs for the rub to penetrate.
There are two camps on this. Just like there are two camps on what fuel to use for grilling... :rolleyes:

There is regular discussion of whether or not it's necessary to remove the membrane from ribs. Some do, some don't. I'm not sure it's necessary. I have done it both ways (with baby backs) and couldn't say I noticed a difference.
You are probably right. But it is just one more way us food geeks can play with our food:LOL:.

Yes you do! It's called skin.:D

I do notice a difference with rub penetration, nop penetration as well as smoke ring. But, that is using the pit and not an oven.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom