"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Master Chef

Oven barbecued ribs

I have never cooked ribs inside the house, but outside isn't an option right now. I always have heard of cooking ribs in the oven, have you done it? I'm not looking for something soaked in "liquid smoke". I don't have an exhaust fan in my kitchen, so it can't be something that creates a lot of smoke when cooking. Anyone got any ideas? It'll be at least another month before we brave the cold!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Video: Baby-Back Ribs

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Using ground Chipotle pepper creates a smokey flavor. You can add some to your favourite sauce.
I cook, covered, on low heat 250-300, in tomato juice and a spice rub for a couple of hours. I've also used 1 part water to 1 part ketchup. Enough so that there is about an inch in the bottom of the pan.
Then I take them out and place them on a rack or cookie sheet and turn the heat up to about 375 and start to lay the sauce to them. I continue to flip and sauce every 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken and it creates a nice sticky layer. You can do this for quite a while until they are done to your liking.
You can wrap them tightly in foil for another 30 minutes before serving if you want to go through the trouble.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just use a dry rub, place in the pan, cover well with "Oven Approved" plastic wrap and foil. No liquid. Slow roast until done. Uncover and pour on the favorite BBQ sauce and heat through. Or just serve with warmed BBQ sauce. (My favorite for monitoring sugar intake)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

No, I've never done it. It doesn't get that cold along the shores of Lake Erie for me not grill I've eaten ribs that were cooked inside though. My father has a backwards way (I call it) and the baby backs he cooks always come out quite good. He slices the rack into three rib sections, rubs them (seasons them), then he puts them in a 350F oven UNcovered for about 1-1/2 hours in a lasagna type pan sprayed with no-stick spray, then dumps some sauce on them (Sweet Baby Ray's original) and covers them for the last 1/2 hour. That's why it seems backwards to me. Uncovered first, then covered. They always come out great tasting and tender. A little sloppy, but that depends on how much sauce you use.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just use a dry rub, place in the pan, cover well with "Oven Approved" plastic wrap and foil. No liquid. Slow roast until done. Uncover and pour on the favorite BBQ sauce and heat through. Or just serve with warmed BBQ sauce. (My favorite for monitoring sugar intake)
I do mine about like PF, only I wrap the ribs tightly in heavy duty foil....no liquid, just a lot of dry rub. I remove them to a shallow pan and pour on the sauce and broil till they are brown and finger licken good. I've never had any real success doing them on the grill, and this works well for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
Head Chef

I cook them at 300 F for about 2 1/2 hours, wrapped in foil. Here's the basic method I use (I use less BBQ sauce than indicated). They're always succulent/falling off the bone tender:
BABY BACK RIBS
Baby Back Ribs Recipe - Food.com - 58691
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Head Chef

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not since it requires special equipment but the last couple times I've done baby backs I've cooked them sous vide. I make a rib rub which I liberal coat the ribs with. Then I freeze BBQ sauce in an ice cube tray- this allows me to vacuum seal the ribs with the sauce in them without the sauce getting sucked into the sealer. Then all you do is cook them in your sous vide cooker at 133 degrees F for three days! You can brush 'em with BBQ sauce and finish 'em under the broiler to get that nice crust.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Master Chef

I think I'm going to try this next week. I like the chipotle idea in particular for that smoky flavor without adding "liquid smoke".
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think I'm going to try this next week. I like the chipotle idea in particular for that smoky flavor without adding "liquid smoke".
Why don't you want to add liquid smoke?

Tags
oven