Pete's recipe for pork ribs marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
This one even pleased my picky brother in law.
He feels that anything other than salt and pepper is verboten.

I picked up the rack of spare ribs at a gormet (spelling?) grocery. They were very lean, and only 99 cents a lb. Sooooo. when I go home I formulated a recipe for the marinade. The result was something he would eat and even said I should patent it.

Here it is:

1 cup of orange juice [frozen is fine]

1/2 cup teryaki sauce

1 1/2 tsp salt or to your taste

1 tbsp brown sugar [dark]

1 tsp garlic powder [or chopped fresh to taste]

1 tsp onion powder [or chopped fresh to taste]

1 tsp sweet paprika

2 tsp tumeric

1 tsp Cavender's greek seasoning or more if you like

Add lib = maybe a little olive oil, or toasted sesame oil, or chili powder [I can't as I am allergic to it] etc.

I do these things over a pan of water to prevent burning. Oh I also drape a cover of foil over the ribs. The ribs can be cooked either in an oven or out on a grill or even in a smoker, so use your imagination. Have fun.........

Yipes -- a Texan who's allergic to chili. How do you manage to survive ?:rolleyes:

I was thinking I have a couple BIL's I could bulk mail and you could sweeten them up too. But then, if I made something like this it would save the hassle of roping them together.

About what temp and for how long did you cook these tasty sounding ribs? Thanks.

i was all in with ya until you said cavendar's greek seasoning.

what's in that?

otherwise, it sounds really good.

Last edited:
Yeah maybe a bit too much and confused.

Since you have added pretty much every ingredient in chili powder except cumin it might be cumin that you are allergic to.

i had to read this 3x to see what the allergy was until jenny pointed it out.

maybe you're allergic to some kind of flavour enhancer, preservative, or stabilizer such as msg or sodium nitrite?

if you have a spare coffee grinder, clean it and dedicate to grinding spices to make your own chili powder. you'll be amazed at how much better the results will be.

if you don't have a grinder, a simple mortar and pestle will do. that's what i do.

Last edited:
It's the usual for ribs, low and slow. I started them hot about 375 and then after 30 minutes went down to 250. This was done on a gas grill, so I didn't have smoke to use. The grill has three row of burners, so I got it going good and hot and later shut off the two rear burners and adjusted the front one to medium. Needless to say, the ribs were at the rear away from the burner.

It's the usual for ribs, low and slow. I started them hot about 375 and then after 30 minutes went down to 250. This was done on a gas grill, so I didn't have smoke to use. The grill has three row of burners, so I got it going good and hot and later shut off the two rear burners and adjusted the front one to medium. Needless to say, the ribs were at the rear away from the burner.

I've smoked on my gas grill. Soak wood chips and wrap in foil. Poke holes for the smoke to come out and put the foil pack on the heat deflector over the burner.

I smoked some ribs on Monday. I marinated them in fresh lime juice, tequila, honey, chopped serrano chili, chopped onion, minced garlic, S&P. I also applied a dry rub right before they went on the weber, which was set up for indirect cooking and I added soaked cherry chips to the hardwood charcoal. They got wrapped after two hours with each package getting a shot of apple juice and then back on to finish.:yum:

Back
Top Bottom