"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pig roast IS NOT pulled pork!!

hi, im hoping someone on here can feel my pain - up until 10 years ago when i saw a stand advertising hog roast at any event you could be sure it consisted of a fine carving of succulent pork along with the obligatory trace of fat, delicious crackling and stuffing with a option of apple sauce or the like. Nowadays it doesnt matter how reputable the company are, it seems to be pretty dry pulled pork(not a trace of fat) in my opinion , i was at a very well known vendors in Edinburgh and i asked about it, saying it is nothing like roasted meat that i was used to, but they were very reluctant to be drawn on the matter, just saying the meat was prepared off premises and delivered to the shop, sure there is a roasted carcass in the window but im confused, can anyone feel my pain or explain where im going wrong,
cheers Booner

Old 07-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Head Chef

Well it may be a question of the cooking process. Pulled pork is a method of cooking a tough cut of pork slowly at low temperature until it can be pulled away in strings.

I don't know how long a hog roast takes to cook and not all sections of the animal would be tough in the first place anyway. My guess is that they are using the term pulled pork because it is now more fashionable....shame, a good hog roast is magnificent and needs no false advertising.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Master Chef

The meat is more dry because pigs are leaner, because of public demand. Also, the people who cook the pork could be overcooking the hog, which would again decrease the quality of the end product.

So long as the myth that all fat is bad, continues, we will continue to have only lesser quality meat available to us.

Meat departments can't sell well marbled meat anymore. Most people won't buy it. The public wants bright-red, lean meat, thinking that it's fresher, and healthier, and better tasting. But that bright-red color comes from messing with the meat, i.e. dying the meat, or exposing it to carbon monoxide. The color is not an indication of how fresh the meat is. Though I suspect that beef is messed with more than is pork, still, the pigs are raised to be very lean.

Seeeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The meat is more dry because pigs are leaner, because of public demand. Also, the people who cook the pork could be overcooking the hog, which would again decrease the quality of the end product.

So long as the myth that all fat is bad, continues, we will continue to have only lesser quality meat available to us.
That's true in the United States, but the OP is in Northern Ireland. When I was in Ireland in 2004, I found the pork to be much more fatty and succulent than we generally get here. It was delicious.

It was pretty darn good back then, booner. I don't know what's changed. Did they call roast pig pulled pork?

I do feel your pain because the pork I had in Ireland was amazing and I wish I had it available to me. I might have to try some of the heritage pork available at my local farmers market just to see.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC booner.

Pulled pork is cooked low and slow in a slow cooker as a rule. It is often a tough cut of pork. So the low and slow method will help make the meat more palatable. It make it more juicy, BBQ sauce is quite often put on it.

A roasted pig is done whole on a spit that constantly turns over the fire. It is often served up with an apple in its mouth for show only. It helps to keep the mouth open so that some of the heat can enter to the head from that direction. All the fat that is under the skin and helps to make the meat really moist. I'll take the roasted pig any day over pulled pork. The closest you can come to a roasted pig would be to take a fresh shoulder and roast it in the oven. Only once in my life was I at a party that had a roasted pig on a spit. My mouth is watering just to think about it.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Sad but true. Times change. Not always for the better.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Meat departments can't sell well marbled meat anymore. Most people won't buy it. The public wants bright-red, lean meat, thinking that it's fresher, and healthier, and better tasting.
I am happy they feel this way as the marbled cuts seem to sit there just waiting for me to pick them up.
I noticed the last time i was in Costco I was able to get a pack of extremely well marbled NY Strip steaks. It was either good luck, they were prime, or the butcher was going to buy them himself. He cut them after all.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Welcome to DC booner.

Pulled pork is cooked low and slow in a slow cooker as a rule. It is often a tough cut of pork. So the low and slow method will help make the meat more palatable. It make it more juicy, BBQ sauce is quite often put on it.

A roasted pig is done whole on a spit that constantly turns over the fire. It is often served up with an apple in its mouth for show only. It helps to keep the mouth open so that some of the heat can enter to the head from that direction. All the fat that is under the skin and helps to make the meat really moist. I'll take the roasted pig any day over pulled pork. The closest you can come to a roasted pig would be to take a fresh shoulder and roast it in the oven. Only once in my life was I at a party that had a roasted pig on a spit. My mouth is watering just to think about it.
Sorry, pulled pork is not done in a slow cooker as a rule. Nor is spit roasting the only method of doing whole hog.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Booner - I am also in UK. Perhaps you were just unlucky because I have been to 2 events recently where the hog roast was available and that is what they were called! So perhaps it is just happening in certain regions...maybe where they feel they are not attracting enough customers?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am happy they feel this way as the marbled cuts seem to sit there just waiting for me to pick them up.
I noticed the last time i was in Costco I was able to get a pack of extremely well marbled NY Strip steaks. It was either good luck, they were prime, or the butcher was going to buy them himself. He cut them after all.

We're fortunate that Costco sells both choice and prime grade beef. Talking to the supermarket meat manager not too long ago, I learned that the vast majority of customers buy based on price (Select Grade, not Choice).

Tags
pork, roast