Pig skins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

internetjunky

Assistant Cook
ISO: How to cook pork skins where they are not (break your teeth out hard.) My husband loves the skins you get in the stores,but wants to cook fresh ones.

Last edited:
I think you need to deep fry them. I cook a pig on occasion and I am able to eat most of the skin BUT I have been told by a good source that the skin that is not ready to eat I can deep fry it for that great skin. The Mexican grocery store in my area frys them and they have pieces that are good to eat that are HUGE!!! 1foot by 2foot pies of great skin. I just have not seen them do it yet.

I saw a show about it sometime last year, either on Food Network, History, or Discovery. You take the raw skin, and blanch it in oil at about 300 degrees F for while (not sure how long). The skins will render out more oil in the process. After the blanching is done, you then deep-fry them in 450 degree oil (not sure about that, it may be hotter) until the skins crisp and bubble.

This is a vary labor-intensive process, not to mention that it produces huge quantities of fat as well as smoke. It's best done outside, or in a commercial kitchen with commercial exhaust hoods.

Where are you getting the pork skins from?

Back
Top Bottom