"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #21
Master Chef

Thank you so much. Just put it in my faves to copy. My daughters and grands would love this, too.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Pilaf recipe

Thanks, Andy, I just went to look for your link too.

Rachel Ray had a good idea for breaking up the pasta for pilaf without making a mess, she rolled it up in a kitchen towel, burrito style, and broke it that way.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

You can also use orzo or other tiny pastas that don't need to be broken.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's what I was just thinking! My pasta salad dinner this afternoon was with orzo. I like how you can get all the goodies in one bite with tiny pasta.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #25
Master Chef

Andy's Mother's recipe is excellent!

Here's just another take for mine I've used often.
Half cup of jasmine rice, half cup of orzo, browned in butter and oil. I added sliced shallots, chopped mushrooms to the saute', and then a handful of golden raisins, with two cups of rich chicken broth and one tablespoon of curry powder. Simmered for 15 min on low, fluffed, and added some slivered almonds to the mix. Very tasty.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I buy orzo for just this dish. I started by breaking pasta, but this is a bit easier and a bit less messy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, that makes me happy. The recipe is my mom's. She passed in '82 and would be amazed to know that folks from all over now use her pilaf recipe. It was a favorite of kadesma and her grandchildren too.
I made it for my mom in November and she raved about how good it was. Food is such a great thing, it can be shared and bring us great memories of people and places.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I made it for my mom in November and she raved about how good it was. Food is such a great thing, it can be shared and bring us great memories of people and places.
+1!

Kay, the additions of slivered almonds sounds good - I've got a pound portioned out in the freezer. Your take on this sounds delicious.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
+1!

Kay, the additions of slivered almonds sounds good - I've got a pound portioned out in the freezer. Your take on this sounds delicious.
Rice is such a wonderful, neutral canvas for a multitude of flavors. Just sort through your spice rack, harvest some herbs, and let your imagination go.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

This is the only way I make pilaf:

Wild Rice Pilaf Mix

I used to make a rice-tomato-cashew pilaf. I've only served pilaf as a side dish or a vegetarian offering. I've never added meat, but can't see why it wouldn't work. I'd probably add shrimp, chicken, or ham to the wild rice pilaf if I wanted it as a main.

Tags
meat, recipe

Pilaf recipe [IMG]http://syncchef.com/images/B9/00/B9007415-B2CB-4685-B012-94D62BB40EE1.jpg[/IMG] Pilaf, Middle Eastern, Caucasian, Central and South Asian dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. Traditionally prepared with lamb, we will prepare a variant using pork meat. Ingredients for 4 servings: 300 gr Rice 240 gr Carrots 240 gr Meat (lamb or pork) 1 large Onion 90 ml Cooking oil 3 Garlic cloves Ground black pepper, to taste Salt, to taste - Cut the onion in half-rings. - Heat the oil in a pot (Kazan) and add the onion half-rings. - Cut the meat in pieces like in the photo and add it to the pot as soon as the onion is soft. - Cut the carrots into stripes. - When the meat is roasted, add the carrots. - When the carrots begin to soften, mix everything to make sure all carrots are covered in oil. Add salt and pepper. You should add slightly more salt then you would normally, because you will then add rice which will absorb part of that salt. Although you could add salt later, it is better to get it right during this step. - Add rice to the pot without stirring. - Cover then the rice with about two fingers of water. - Pour the water slowly to avoid mixing. - Put the garlic cloves in the water. - When the water starts boiling, set your stove on gentle heat and cover the pot with its lid. - After about 25-30 minutes the pilaf is ready. Remove the lid from the pot, remove the garlic cloves and mix thoroghly before plating. 3 stars 1 reviews