"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncchef View Post
But Pilaf (the Central Asian/Caucasian main dish) is traditionally eaten with hands, not cutlery (not that I do that, but still). If the grains do not stick to each other, it would be very hard to eat I think, wouldn't it?
Agree 100%. However it doesn't mean overcooked. Like fried rice in a Chinese restaurant. it is one mass and yet each grain of rice is separate. I learned to cook pilaf from from chef who was from Uzbekistan. He was a master. He used to make a 30 quart pot of rice and still managed to make it absolutely perfect. It was art.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Agree 100%. However it doesn't mean overcooked. Like fried rice in a Chinese restaurant. it is one mass and yet each grain of rice is separate. I learned to cook pilaf from from chef who was from Uzbekistan. He was a master. He used to make a 30 quart pot of rice and still managed to make it absolutely perfect. It was art.
Interesting... how do you achieve this kind of consistency? It is just the cooking time or is there any trick?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #33
Master Chef

I just know how long it takes for my rice to cook, years of practice , I've made plenty of rice blobs instead of good rice.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

When you're making pilaf, it's important to coat the rice grains with the fat in the pan and heat them through before adding the liquid. This helps keep the grains separate. You also have to ensure you don't use too much liquid and don't cook the rice too long.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Tags
meat, recipe

Pilaf recipe [IMG]http://syncchef.com/images/B9/00/B9007415-B2CB-4685-B012-94D62BB40EE1.jpg[/IMG] Pilaf, Middle Eastern, Caucasian, Central and South Asian dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. Traditionally prepared with lamb, we will prepare a variant using pork meat. Ingredients for 4 servings: 300 gr Rice 240 gr Carrots 240 gr Meat (lamb or pork) 1 large Onion 90 ml Cooking oil 3 Garlic cloves Ground black pepper, to taste Salt, to taste - Cut the onion in half-rings. - Heat the oil in a pot (Kazan) and add the onion half-rings. - Cut the meat in pieces like in the photo and add it to the pot as soon as the onion is soft. - Cut the carrots into stripes. - When the meat is roasted, add the carrots. - When the carrots begin to soften, mix everything to make sure all carrots are covered in oil. Add salt and pepper. You should add slightly more salt then you would normally, because you will then add rice which will absorb part of that salt. Although you could add salt later, it is better to get it right during this step. - Add rice to the pot without stirring. - Cover then the rice with about two fingers of water. - Pour the water slowly to avoid mixing. - Put the garlic cloves in the water. - When the water starts boiling, set your stove on gentle heat and cover the pot with its lid. - After about 25-30 minutes the pilaf is ready. Remove the lid from the pot, remove the garlic cloves and mix thoroghly before plating. 3 stars 1 reviews