Pork Belly Huh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Pirate has been asking me to buy a pork belly. Neither one of us has any idea on what to buy. How to cook it. Anything!

Pirate suggested I ask someone from the South. I personally don't care where you come from, do you have any information that we (him mostly) can get started on about pork belly. I did Google it but was still at a loss for what I was looking at. :angel:

Pork Belly is just a big slab of bacon before it's cured. You can smoke it, grill it, roast it, just about anything. Just keep in mind, that like bacon, there's a lot of fat layering, so you want to make sure that whatever method you use You actually start to melt that fat.

Low & slow is the best, just make sure to crisp up the outside before serving. Usually after roasting, it's cut into smaller pieces, then browned on all sides for serving. Each small piece would only be a couple bites.

Last edited:
We love Momofuku's Pork Buns Recipe on Food52 and have made it many times. It makes a very tender but crisp pork belly. I've tried other methods of cooking the pork belly but this way always comes out best for me. I'm going to quit trying any other way and just use this method and adapt to whatever flavor profile I'm going for from now on.

The little buns are pretty darn good too if you want to go to the trouble of making them.

Back
Top Bottom