Pork Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
I bought 4 pork butts and people just fight over the bones left once I get dont gettin the meat off them for sausage.

PINTO seems to be the goes word but these people want them bones.

I gladly contribute, even though I truly believe that one smoked hock can do justice to beans that no dang raw pig bone will ever do.

I just love them hocks in greens, peas, beans, seasfood bisque,

no wait,,,,,,,

There has to be some limit to a hock..........

I just aint found it yet........

No wait.......

Day old chocolate bread cake, yeah mabe a hock wont do wit dat...

But just raw bones offa da ham????

OFFA RAW HAM????

People just dont GETTIT...........

I've even offered to smoke them bones before you go trying to use them, but they just like them beans that will make you poot so much that your wife says "GO to the COUCH" but only because for one night, SHE can out poot YOU.

Last edited:
hey, bones is great...roast em before tossing em in the beans, before making stock, or just with root veggies all around...adds so much flavor. And not all recipes call for smoke flavor.

This is a question I was going to ask. I have a leftover bone from a pork loin roast that I do not know what to do with. What do you do with stock from roasted pork bone? I usually use smoked leftover bones for dried bean soup. I have dried pinto, kidney, white kidney, navy, green lentils, and lima beans in stock, would one of these be better than the others for soup? Is there something other than soup to make with pork bone broth? Thanks.......

Roast it and make a stock from it. There is no rule that says pork stock can only be used with beans or anything else, not even with something other than a pork dish. I use pork stock to cook rice for a lot of things that have no pork in them.

The flavor of pork is good in a way lot of dishes.

you could make homemade baked beans, starting with your dried, cooking in some stock (less than you'd use for soup) and any meat scraps that come with the bone.

THe broth could be reduced for gravies or sauces for later dishes. (freeze in small batches)

soup of course wil lbe great and smoke flavor can be added with bacon or a ham hock cooked in the pork broth. (I often start a soup if I'm boneless with a ham hock simmering in canned chicken broth...doesn't taste canned anymore and gets a great smokey flavor.)

Just use it for cooking veggies or in stir frying ... always the need for a little broth.

pintos make great refrieds...navy, lima, or lentils make fine soups. You could use it for a lentil soup with sausage (like kielbasa) potatoes and escarole. That would be wonderful.

Thanks for the ideas.........my tired brain was not coming up with any that seemed good. Rice...of course. I made homemade baked beans last year, am having some of them for dinner tonight.......one canner load of baked beans sounds good. Or, I love to can broth for that matter. I had never thought to simmer a ham hock in an existing broth, neat idea.

Ham Hock, I agree with you that ham hocks (and other smoked bones) are the best for some dishes, and there is no such thing as a bad bone when it comes to stock!!!!! I keep a bag in my freezer, and save all bones, and make some of the most unusual soups and stocks!

Back
Top Bottom