Pork Butt. But I Dunno..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Today I'm grinding up a small 4Lb pork butt to make some ground pork.
Nothing added to it.

I wanted to take 1Lb to make pork dumplings
Another to make egg rolls.I guess it's showing what were having for dinner tonight.:yum:

Should the fat cap be cut off.Or leave some on?
Still checking to see if the pork needs prior cooking before I make the egg rolls.

Thanks Kayelle,

I was thinking that to.
And yes cook the ground pork for the egg rolls to.

I'm awake really.Not at all asweep at the kweeebaord:ROFLMAO::LOL:

There's a fair amount of internal fat with a butt. You could trim off most of the fat cap and get a good mix of fat and lean.

There's a fair amount of internal fat with a butt. You could trim off most of the fat cap and get a good mix of fat and lean.

Yes I'd trim the whole fat cap off and see what the internal fat gives you. You can always add more fat in but you can't take it out very easily.

I ground about 16# last week and totally removed the fat cap, as well as any large pieces. The ground pork was just how I wanted it. I also ground some beef to which I had to add fat.

As Kayelle said, "Fat is flavor". When I grind up beef for hamburger, if there is no fat on it, I ask the back room for a piece of suet. I may not use it all, but the rest can go into the freezer for future needs. I also wrap my rib roast with a strip of suet. I don't serve the strip of suet, but the flavor is there. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom