"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Master Chef

So many ways to prepare Delicious pulled pork. If you don't want to cook in the oven for a bunch of hours, this is an alternative method that everyone who's had it raves about. Rub the pork with salt and pepper, nothing else. Slice two large onions into petals. Mince 4 garlic cloves.

Get a heavy skillet (I use cast iron) hot. Add 4 tbs. or so of cooking oil to the pan. Sear all sides of the roast to give it a great, brown crust. Turn off the stove and place the roast on a bed of onion petals. Sprinkle more onion on top, along with the garlic. Make sure the fat side is up. Put the lid on and set the cooker to medium. Let it cook until a half hour before it's time to serve it. Remove the roast to a heavy, large pan and pull it into bite-sized chunks. Fire up the smoker, or grill and place wood on the fire to make smoke. Place the pan of pulled pork into the smoke filled environment and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir and smoke for another ten minutes. Remove from teh smoke and place in a large bowl. Stir the drippings from the slow cooker back into the meat. Serve with Carolina style barbecue sauce, a tomato/brown sugar style barbecue sauce, and a honey mustard sauce, and good buns.

It will taste like it's been smoking for a whole day, with a luxuriously tender and juicy mouth feel.

Just another method for when you don't want to, or can't monitor a smoker all day.

There are many here who will call my method sacrilegious. But the proof is in the eating. It makes very tasty pulled pork.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
Honey Badger

Update: Late I know...

Well you guys the Pork Butt turned out perfectly. I timed it to where all I did was season it and pass the buck. " Night all" Let them worry about it all night. Because I'm nice like that.

Made the Carolina sauce to go with it. They really enjoyed a new take on pork.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.

Munky.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Where's the pictures?!?

Sheesh...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Where's the pictures?!?

Sheesh...
Sorry Frank... Maybe next time. It's one of those things, see one you've seen them all.

I want to know where all that Pork went? Had plans to make Tamales & Taquito's with it.

Is nothing sacred around here?

Munky.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Is nothing sacred around here?

Munky.
When it comes to pork shoulder... eating it is the only thing sacred...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
When it comes to pork shoulder... eating it is the only thing sacred...
An open faced sandwich covered with gravy. Evidently it was good or there would be leftovers. Take it as a compliment.

Tags
pork, recipe, tips

Pork Butt Tips & Tricks? Thought I'd ask the pro's here for advice. Just picked up the Pork Butt I ordered yesterday. It's 7.90Lb's. Has a nice fat cap on it. I've never cooked one before. Don't even know how or what, if any seasonings are needed. Using the Smoker is out. It's cold and raining here today. Will be tomorrow to. Can you guys walk me through? I know it takes a while to cook, that's all I do know on the subject. The spice racks are ready :angel: Thank you Munky. 3 stars 1 reviews