"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Honey Badger

Pork Butt Tips & Tricks?

Thought I'd ask the pro's here for advice.

Just picked up the Pork Butt I ordered yesterday. It's 7.90Lb's. Has a nice fat cap on it. I've never cooked one before. Don't even know how or what, if any seasonings are needed.

Using the Smoker is out. It's cold and raining here today. Will be tomorrow to.

Can you guys walk me through? I know it takes a while to cook, that's all I do know on the subject. The spice racks are ready

Thank you

Munky.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

First.. set up a large tent over the smoker so you stay dry....

A nice rub (tons of recipes on the Internet) but I like to make sure I have paprika, cayenne and dry mustard in it (amongst other things).

225F for about 1.5 hours/LB.

Get it to 195-200F internal and then tent it for half an hour to rest.

Pull it, don't chop it. Take your time and get the fat and boingie bits out. Finish it with a Carolina vinegar sauce (just a little bit). Put the rest of the sauce on the table and offer a mustard sauce too.

Serve with some steamed rice, pork liver hash, fried okra.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'd go with Frank's suggestion for about 3.5 to 4.5 pounds worth and grind the rest for things like meatballs, pierogi stuffing, stir fries, forloren hare, and sausage patties.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you want melt in your mouth pulled pork, put it in the oven tonight--crank your oven up to 400, stick the roast in, immediately turn it down to 200-225, and let it cook for 12-18 hours. (I am not a good mathematician, but I think that is what Frank is saying, too!)

For a rub, I use about half a cup of brown sugar, couple T of chili powder, and a T of salt. I use a rack in 9 X 13 pan. This makes a dark brown 'bark' (if the BBQ folks will forgive me), very slightly sweet.

If you can get up in the morning and NOT sample some for breakfast, you are a stronger person than me.

Do the whole roast this way--leftovers freeze well, and can be used in sandwiches, tacos, stir fries!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Half Baked

I boil mine with some bay leaves,peppercorns and onion quarted. let simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Cool enough to shred. Shred,season with pepper, cumin 2 oranges squeezed (throw in the rinds too). Add a couple of cups of the boiling liquid and cover with foil. bake in a 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hour. Toss whit whatever sauce you like.

On edit: On seeing the almost 8lb size, i would only cook half at a time.
It freezes pretty well cooked.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Pork butt

I always have to boil mine for at least 30 minutes just to get my meat soft. Then, I fry it on a pan to have the outside seared to perfection. DeeLish (:
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm going to my favorite butcher to buy some to make my cousin's New Mexican Green Chile Stew. I'll cut it in a fine dice, brown, then all other ingredients and let it simmer for ... hours. Maybe days.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In a large crock pot, layer sliced onions and place dry-rubbed pork butt on top, layer more onions. Cover and cook on low 12 hours, leave the lid on!!!

Rub for Pulled Pork

2 tsp ground fennel seed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (optional)

Mix all together and apply liberally to pork.

When cooked, pull meat apart with forks and fingers. Removing the fat and gristle.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Master Chef

You might want to go Hawaiian......Crock Pot Kalua Pig

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have my butcher debone mine and then I butterfly it. Make a mixture of dry spinach, feta cheese, roasted and crushed pine nuts, S&P and any other seasonings that come to mind at the moment. Roll it, tie it and roast it at 325F. Check internal temp after about 1.5 to 2.0 hours. Depending on size.

It is so dang hard for me to write directions for cooking. I have been doing it for so many years, I now do it by the seat of my skirt.

Tags
pork, recipe, tips

Pork Butt Tips & Tricks? Thought I'd ask the pro's here for advice. Just picked up the Pork Butt I ordered yesterday. It's 7.90Lb's. Has a nice fat cap on it. I've never cooked one before. Don't even know how or what, if any seasonings are needed. Using the Smoker is out. It's cold and raining here today. Will be tomorrow to. Can you guys walk me through? I know it takes a while to cook, that's all I do know on the subject. The spice racks are ready :angel: Thank you Munky. 3 stars 1 reviews