Pork Chop Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

singer92

Assistant Cook
I have pork chops fresh from the butcher, but Im not sure what to do with them. I have an electric skillet with no stove or oven. nor do i have seasonings... if i sear the chops then cook them in the skillet with cream of chicken soup will they taste ok?

also is it possible to make dumplings using the soup after the pork chops are cooked?

any input would help!

Yes, that will work. I used to make something similar stovetop, but used cream of mushroom instead. I also added some minute rice and milk (to mix with the soup and soak into the rice). And a can of green beans minus the liquid also found its way into the pan. Gently simmer until done. Add more milk if necessary. It was a tasty one pot meal without a whole lot of fuss or seasoning, but a couple shakes of tabasco was a nice addition.

oops. Edited to correct the dang auto correct feature. Tabasco, not tobacco, lol.

Last edited:
thanks, i think it will work. do you think egg noodles would cook in the soup? they seem to cook faster than other pastas...:chef:

Yes of course egg noodles will work fine. Personally, I kind of liked your first idea w/ dumplings. Be sure to put the skillet cover on if you make these. If you have a little onion, I would slice that in when you sear the chops.

Pork chops are one of my favorites.

I love chops in cream of chicken soup. After I plate the chop I like to stir in a bit of sour cream to the soup before spooning over the chop.

Noodles, dumplings, cheese... basically all you are doing is cooking a casserole in your electric pan. You just want something that will cook relatively quickly (that's why I said minute rice instead of regular rice, so the chops don't overcook).

i dont have minute rice, or any rice for that matter, and my fiance wont eat rice... im cooking for 2...

Another way to cook them is to gently fry them until they just start turning brown, about 4 minutes per side at 360' in your electric skillet, then add a package of pork ramen noodles, and some fresh mushrooms. cover and turn the heat to about 250' F. for another 7 minutes or so. You could add cream if you want, or milk. Thicken with a half teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with an equal amount of cold water.

You've got to get some seasonings in that home. There are so many things you can do with pork chops.:)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I used to brown chops and some onion and then dump a can of Del Monte stewed tomatoes on and cook until everything was warm and the meat was no longer pink inside - ~ 160 F.

Just a note, some soups are condensed and require additional liquid.

Just a note, some soups are condensed and require additional liquid.

They require liquid to turn them back into soup, but if you're using it as a sauce, it requires little or no additional liquid. I usually add some chicken broth to add flavor, then let it reduce down again to a sauce consistency.

I used to brown the chops. Then add a sliced onion and steps of green bell pepper. Meanwhile slice a couple of potatoes skin and all. Stir into the onions/peppers. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Plop the chops on top and dump on a can of cream of mushroom soup and a half can of milk. Put the cover on and cook on low til the potatoes are done. But, please go buy yourself a few basic spices! Or, buy a pot or two of fresh herbs for your window sill.

Something I did with pork chops when I was home alone on evening; I think I was about 14 years old at the time. I heated a frying pan over medium heat. With just a touch of oil in the pan, I cooked 2 chops until they just started browning on both sides. I added a couple tablespoons of sherry wine that my parents had in the house, covered the pan, and cooked for about five more minutes. The chops were tender, moist, and tasted wonderful. I think it's the only time I ever enjoyed the flavor of any alcoholic beverage in cooking. Oh, one of my boys made a pretty good chicken marsalla once.

Other than that, I detest the flavor of wine in food.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cream of soups in general seem to work well with pork chops. Dumplings would be good and so would egg noodles, although you might want to add a little water to the cream of soup if doing the egg noodles. Frozen soup or stew veggies are also good cooked into it. I've added canned green beans, mushrooms, and corn at one time or another. Sometimes I just use one of them, sometimes more than one. Just make sure to drain them first. A can of french onion soup also works well in place of the cream of soups.

All of those will also work with b/s chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or cut up chicken leg quarters.

I hope your meal turned out tastey.

Other than that, I detest the flavor of wine in food.
You shouldn't be able to taste the wine as such in your finished dish. It's there to enrich the flavour of the whole not to jump up and down shouting "Here I am, here I am".

If you are getting a strident alcohol flavour that overpowers the rest of the ingredients you probably haven't cooked the wine down enough. I have a recipe for a French beef casserole which requires half a bottle of wine reduced to a few spoonsful!

And you know what they say - never cook with a wine you wouldn't be happy to drink. If it isn't fit to drink it isn't fit to cook with.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be able to taste the wine as such in your finished dish. It's there to enrich the flavour of the whole not to jump up and down shouting "Here I am, here I am".

One person's enriched flavor is another person's ewww! ;) I made a beer-cheese dip for a party and a group of people were digging in, raving about it, and another person came to taste it. She spit it out and said why didn't you warn me? We're like, about what? It's good! But she couldn't stand the flavor. Such is life.

Back
Top Bottom