Pork Chops & Rice-TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
This is one of those simple meals that my mom used to make for us. She never used a recipe & I just picked it up by watching her make it. It's also good made with tomato soup instead of the cream of mushroom.

4 boneless pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom or celery soup
1 soup can milk or water
1C uncooked white rice

Place rice in bottom of baking dish. Mix soup & water or milk, stir into rice. Season both sided of pork chops with salt & pepper & place on top of rice mixture. Cover baking dish with foil & bake at 350F for 1 hour or until rice is cooked.

The only way my mother ever fixed rice was as a cereal with milk and sugar :sick: or in Porcupines.
When I became engaged to a Cajun, I found out what rice was really all about!

This is what we had for supper on Friday night. It's on of DH's very favourites! I make mine a bit differently by first searing the pork chops in a hot frying pan, then putting them into a baking dish, pouring over the sauce (which I dilute a little with milk and add herbs and spices to), topping with loads of fresh mushrooms and a sprinkling of cheese. I bake this for about 45 minutes to an hour to make the chops really tender. Then I uncover the baking dish for the last few minutes in order to brown the cheese and mushroom top. I usually make a pot of brown rice and serve it on the side (for me the rice must get lost in the sauce, I could eat buckets of it this way!)

I think almost every cook has their own take on this classic dish, thanks for sharing your's crewsk :)

Thanks - that's a really nice recipe for everday! I can see how it could be "played with" as you say. I've made something similar with chicken pieces baked over rice - just like your mom, I put the raw rice in a baking dish, add liquid, put onions & garlic & mushroooms (what have you) on top as and then the chicken (seasoned with herbs and salt and pepper or even a little sprinkling of chicken boullion powder), then bake for about an hour. I was just wondering what to do for dinner tonight. I needed something not too fancy but nice like that. Sandy

Back
Top Bottom