Pork chops: what's your cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, i know what you mean about under ripe peaches. they're picked so early they never really ripen properly.

this year has been one of those drippy arm and chin years here, even in the supermarkets. for black plums, too.

has anyone ever gone peach or plum picking (like apple picking)?

I've never gone plum or peach picking. But, I have picked lots of peaches off the two peach trees we had in our backyard when I lived in SoCal.

I live in a big peach growing state and many of ours have been crap. Hard when you buy them and they go bad before they ripen. Haven't even found great ones at the farmer's market!

My great aunt had wonderful plum trees, the deep purple kind that when you bit into them, the flesh was red. Had to stand on a ladder to get them. She also grew chokecherries.

Peaches are marginally hardy to our area, the nasty spring weather may have gotten rid of a bunch.

to bring this back 'round to poke chops, i'm inspired to make a dish that i had in an irish restaurant many years ago. it was a pork rib chop stuffed with sauteed onions and hot vinegar peppers, browned in a pan , then baked with preserved peach halves in syrup.

My great aunt had wonderful plum trees, the deep purple kind that when you bit into them, the flesh was red. Had to stand on a ladder to get them. She also grew chokecherries.

Peaches are marginally hardy to our area, the nasty spring weather may have gotten rid of a bunch.

My great grandmother had plum trees that produced really small fruits, I'll never forget the flavor of the jam she would make from those, or some years syrup, she wouldn't measure anything so her results were always all over the place..

My great grandmother had plum trees that produced really small fruits, I'll never forget the flavor of the jam she would make from those, or some years syrup, she wouldn't measure anything so her results were always all over the place..

Mmm. Plum jam, chokecherry jelly, I would happily eat either one with pork chops!

That's great. The peaches we get are hard and crunch when you bite them. I'd love to get some ripe juicy peaches where the juice runs down your arm when you bite into it. Then I'd be tempted to eat fruit, make pies and even grill them.
If you live near an Aldi's, check there. I've gotten some great peaches (nectarines and plums too) when shopping there during the Market Basket boycott.

We got really lucky a couple of weeks ago with peaches. My daughter and I went to a farmer's market about an hour from here, and they had some enormous ones. I only got 6 of them since I've been disappointed before. When they fully ripened, they were so sweet and juicy. Wish I'd have gotten more.

My fruit of choice with pork chops is apple something or other, but I love peaches with them, too. :yum:

lol, cheryl. i think everyone's been so snake bitten with their peach purchases over recent years that they're shy.

much like mangoes and strawberries, i go with my nose on peaches.

but when you hit the jackpot, sniff sniff, dig like it's the comstock lode.

what kind of pork chop person are you? rib, loin, sirloin end, or what?

i've noticed a lot of folks eating pork chops of late, so i just thought i'd ask.

recipes for your best pork chop are greatly appreciated.

:chef:
I used to like the ones that came with a slice of kidney attached but we never see them now

Been many a year since we've found good peaches here.

I love pork chops with sauteed apples and onions. Ooh, and sauerkraut! Must be a German thing. I like to buy whole pork loins and cut my own too.
Over here we often have apple sauce with pork. Not to sweet so it's a nice sharp contrast to the richness of the pork.

I just grill (broil) my pork chops thoroughly but not you much.

I like to take a bone in pork chop and coat them with flour (with salt and pepper) beaten egg and then finely crushed cracker crumbs. Brown them in a fry pan and then bake them on a cookie sheet for 1 hour at 325.

Pork loin Chops, the pork version of Rib steaks, bone in of course. Favorite way to make 'em, season with salt & pepper, cook over a solid bed of charcoal, with a bit of maple wood thrown on top of the coals. Cover and Q for about 7 minutes per side with all vents open.

Opposite end of the spectrum - heat heavy, lidded frying pan over medium high heat.Lightly oil the pan and trow the chops in. Cook on one side for four minutes to lightly brown. While the chops are cooking, heat another burner to low. Flip, add 2 tbs good Sherry wine to the pan. Move the pan to the low burner, cover, and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Take inch and a half thick chops, and slit the sides with a sharp knife to make a pocket to separate the top from the bottom. Stuff with either apples, ginger, and brown sugar, or with a savory - sage bread dressing. Season the outside with S & P. Dredge in flour, dip in egg wash, then in Panko Bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Slice boneless chops into 1/2 inch cubes. Season with S & P, ground ginger, a pinch of Chines 5-spice powder, granulated garlic, and granulated onion. Make a batter of 1/2 cup ap flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 2 tsp. double-acting baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 medium egg, and 1 cup water. Dip the pork cubes in the Tempura batter and deep fry until golden brown. Serve with noodles and stir-fried veggies.

Combine 1/8 cup soy sauce, 2 tbs. vinegar, 1/2 chopped fresh onion, 2 colves garlic - minced, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tbs. corn starch. Marinate pork cubes for 20 minutes. Heat 2 inches of oil to 335 ' F. Slowly add pork to the hot oil. Remove when the coating turns opaque (white). Add to stir-fries, or other Asian dishes, or serve alongside a bed of rice with snow peas on the side.

B.T.; if you need more pork recipes, you know that I have a cookbook on nothing but pork. Just let me know.;)

Oh, and always purchase pork with the bone, even if you are going to use the boneless meat. The bones make great broth, or can be used to flavor baked beans, pea soup, bean soup, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, I agree about the usefulness of the bones. But, a lot of us buy the boneless, whole pork loins at Costco. It's several dollars per pound cheaper than any bone-in pork I can buy.

Mostly I make pork and sauerkraut. DH likes boneless loin chops...I like country ribs...so we both get what we like. I love a nice thick stuffed pork chop. DH isn't crazy about them so I rarely cook them, but a restaurant nearby has them for the dinner special every Sunday, so we go there often. They give you a lot of food for a very nice price.

I used to like the ones that came with a slice of kidney attached but we never see them now

I remember when sirloin steaks came with the tenderloin attached.
I have never in my life seen a pork chop with anything attached other than the loin chop that has the tenderloin attached.

Chief, I agree about the usefulness of the bones. But, a lot of us buy the boneless, whole pork loins at Costco. It's several dollars per pound cheaper than any bone-in pork I can buy.

I shop at Costco and see the half boneless loin and totally ignore them.
I go straight for the rib chops.
I would imagine they would taste good. But to me a pork chop is much better with a bone still intact.
I do however enjoy the boneless loin for small roasts. But I do not over cook them. Medium at the very most.

I shop at Costco and see the half boneless loin and totally ignore them.
I go straight for the rib chops.
I would imagine they would taste good. But to me a pork chop is much better with a bone still intact.
I do however enjoy the boneless loin for small roasts. But I do not over cook them. Medium at the very most.

Do you ever make pork stir-fry or kebabs? They're much easier to make with boneless chops. And, of course, the boneless roast is just uncut chops ;) The boneless half loin is a better value if you buy and cut it into roasts and chops yourself rather than pay Costco to do it.

Back
Top Bottom