Pork chops: what's your cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you ever make pork stir-fry or kebabs? They're much easier to make with boneless chops. And, of course, the boneless roast is just uncut chops ;) The boneless half loin is a better value if you buy and cut it into roasts and chops yourself rather than pay Costco to do it.

I do agree the loin half is the better buy and I always cut my own if its boneless.
I wish Costco would sell the "bone in" half loin. That I would buy.
I rarely do anything with pork other than chops or roasts. If I did then I could see buying the boneless loin.
In fact, I had one in the shopping cart last time, but put it back. Its giant!
I may get one next time.

Boneless roast sliced thin makes very good sandwiches too!

Last edited:
l use boneless chops, both as "chops" and for stir-fry, etc. But when I buy the whole loin I'll cut it into two roasts, one from each end, and use the center of the center for chops. I make a roast from the nicer of the two end pieces, having it for one meal and slicing the rest to make B-B-Q pork for sandwiches. The second end roast is wrapped and frozen, only to be dragged out of the freezer when I need a crock-pot dinner. Roast, sauerkraut, and a bottle of beer and let 'er go for 7-8 hours on medium. All it needs is mashed potatoes (and a green veggie if you really want color on the plate) and dinner is done.

I remember when sirloin steaks came with the tenderloin attached.
I have never in my life seen a pork chop with anything attached other than the loin chop that has the tenderloin attached.
The kidney sat in the curve of the chop bone where it naturally occurs. Like this:-

pork chop with kidney.png
Not a brilliant picture because the bone doesn't seem to be there!

Banned by EU legislation in the 1980s. Which is odd, because we can still buy pigs kidneys.

The kidney sat in the curve of the chop bone where it naturally occurs. Like this:-

View attachment 21849
Not a brilliant picture because the bone doesn't seem to be there!

Banned by EU legislation in the 1980s. Which is odd, because we can still buy pigs kidneys.

Wow! Thanks Mad one. We don't get chops like that in the US as far as I know. I have never had kidney either.
Would try it though.
I understand kidney is very popular in some countries and or societies.

Why were they banned?

Wow! Thanks Mad one. We don't get chops like that in the US as far as I know. I have never had kidney either.
Would try it though.
I understand kidney is very popular in some countries and or societies.

Why were they banned?
The EU gets bees in its bonnets from time to time. After centuries of eating them with no ill effects the EU decided there was an outside chance (a VERY outside chance) that there could be unspecified ill-effects from eating kidneys.

As I say, there's no ban on the kidneys themselves so it's a bit of a mystery. Obviously, like other offal/variety meats, kidneys have to be very fresh or they are really nasty. Some people use it in steak & kidney pies although I think ox kidney is better because the other meat in the pie is beef. Lambs' kidneys are also eaten here in dishes such as devilled kidneys (an old dish often served at country house breakfasts).

Last edited:
I like to purchase a two bone rib chop with the fat cap still on it. Stuff it with a moist stuffing, S&P both sides, quickly brown on both sides and place on a rack in a 325ºF oven until just past raw. Cut it in half, place one half well wrapped in the fridge for another meal and finish cooking the other half. Unless there are two of us to eat. You really do need a well seasoned moist stuffing as it helps keep the meat moist while it is cooking. :angel:

I like to purchase a two bone rib chop with the fat cap still on it. Stuff it with a moist stuffing, S&P both sides, quickly brown on both sides and place on a rack in a 325ºF oven until just past raw. Cut it in half, place one half well wrapped in the fridge for another meal and finish cooking the other half. Unless there are two of us to eat. You really do need a well seasoned moist stuffing as it helps keep the meat moist while it is cooking. :angel:

Never have seen a two bone rib chop.
I am in total agreement regarding over cooking pork.
I like to cook it medium and let it rest.
I can have three pork chops in hot fry pan or grill done in less than 10 minutes.
And to drive the point home, the chops are thick. If you get them from Costco, you will know what I mean.

The best part is, medium with pork shows no pink or even red near the bone. So the well done crowd does not get their panties in a wad. :ROFLMAO:

You don't really need a moist stuffing to keep meat moist. You need to not overcook the meat and it will remain moist when done.

Never have seen a two bone rib chop.I am in total agreement regarding over cooking pork.
I like to cook it medium and let it rest.
I can have three pork chops in hot fry pan or grill done in less than 10 minutes.
And to drive the point home, the chops are thick. If you get them from Costco, you will know what I mean.

The best part is, medium with pork shows no pink or even red near the bone. So the well done crowd does not get their panties in a wad. :ROFLMAO:

You have to ask your butcher to cut it for you. :angel:

Now days, I always buy two thick cut loin chops and brine them.

When I had a family at home I'd buy the inexpensive fatty pork steaks, place them in a baking pan, drizzle them with ketchup, then sprinkle on a handful of brown sugar, and top it with paper thin slices of Meyer lemon. The house would smell so darn good, and we all loved the dish, served with rice on the side.

I have to do that again soon, as Steve has never had it.

Just to let you all know, I bought a packet of Sweet n Sour dry powder mix to make Sweet and Sour pork.

I've yet to make my sweet N sour Hawaiian chicken, but I went to the store and got everything needed. 2 large boneless chicken breasts are waiting in my fridge.

La Choy used to make Sweet N Sour Pork. They stopped making it. Now I want to make it.

Isn't it hard to cut the bones? Is there a trick?

Have the butcher remove the chine bone on the bottom. But since they weigh it with the bone there, make sure he gives it back to you for making stock, etc. Once that is removed, you can just slice between the bones. :angel:

I live alone. I don't want a whole rib roast. :angel:

That was for the forum, not you personally. But actually, you are apparently buying a two-rib roast, aka a double pork chop. If you bought a four-rib or six-rib roast, you would probably pay less per pound and could freeze some for later. Cooking for one or two doesn't mean you have to pass up the bargains you can get by buying in quantity.

Last edited:
My supermarket had a 2 for 1 sale on thin sliced bone in loin pork chops. I took advantage of that.

I currently have 6-7 thin cut pork loin chops in my freezer awaiting shrink wrapping. I intend to make Sweet 'n Sour Pork over rice with some of them, using a Sweet 'N Sour seasoning packet.

I've yet to make my chicken breast sweet 'n sour Hawaiian recipe given here. Those $4.87 chicken breasts (2) are in the fridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom