Pork chops: what's your cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some good info and recipes here: just scroll down to 'everything you need to know about pork chops'
https://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/14850ab9cf23f927
That link is to Googlemail. It looks like it's something in your inbox, so it doesn't show us anything. Try printing it as a PDF and then attach it to a post. Or, copy it and paste it into a text editor.

Or there might be a link in your email that you could c&p.

some good info and recipes here: just scroll down to 'everything you need to know about pork chops'
https://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/14850ab9cf23f927

sorry bout the bad link, folks. i copied it directly from the address bar, but apparently it is attached to my email address, and cannot be separated. (at least, i can't) i went directly to the website where i found the pork chop info, but not under a single http address. if you search 'food52 pork chops' you will see a page there with all of the recipes and pork chop info i was trying to post.

When in college, I could get small center cut chops for cheap! I would sear them and arrange them in a deep skillet with a tight lid. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and then a thin ring of green pepper would be placed on top of each chop, about a tablespoon of raw rice in the center of each ring and top each rice mound with a splayed, whole canned tomato. Dump the juice over everything and rinse the can with a bit of water. Bring it to a simmer and let simmer covered until done. (About 45-50 minutes until the rice was tender.) Each chop would be really pretty with its pepper, rice, and tomato mound. Totally a treat for a starving college student whose usual meal was generic PB&J.

My favorite cut varies depending on what I make, but I love this dish even today.

When in college, I could get small center cut chops for cheap! I would sear them and arrange them in a deep skillet with a tight lid. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and then a thin ring of green pepper would be placed on top of each chop, about a tablespoon of raw rice in the center of each ring and top each rice mound with a splayed, whole canned tomato. Dump the juice over everything and rinse the can with a bit of water. Bring it to a simmer and let simmer covered until done. (About 45-50 minutes until the rice was tender.) Each chop would be really pretty with its pepper, rice, and tomato mound. Totally a treat for a starving college student whose usual meal was generic PB&J.

My favorite cut varies depending on what I make, but I love this dish even today.

Copied and saved!

When I'm cooking thin boneless chops, I season them with salt and pepper, brown them well on both sides until just cooked, remove from pan and deglaze pan with a little white wine, reduce that to an almost syrupy consistency and plop in a spoonful of peach preserves or apple butter return the chops to the pan to coat with glaze.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
I made a nice thick loin chop with onion gravy tonight. It was excellent! Pan seared then finished with browned onions, chicken stock and flour to make a rich thick gravy for the mayonnaise mashed potatoes and sweet peas.

I can cross this dish off my list.

i'm still full from dinner and you guys are making me crave pork chops. :yum:

andy, did you flour the chops first?

bakechef, (besides andy) who doesn't like fruit and chops?

man, i'm scribbling everyone's ideas down furiously. thanks, all. :chef:

BT, no I didn't flour the chops. I browned them in bacon fat. I added the flour later to make the gravy.

... who doesn't like fruit and chops?...
I thought apples and pork chops are supposed to go together? I'll cook chops in a pan until browned and almost done, remove to plate and cover with foil, and saute sliced shallots and apples until tender. Add the chops back to the pan along with a pat of butter and a splash of white wine (slightly sweet is fine). Nice autumn meal.

I've been looking for a recipe I used a long time ago that used canned whole-berry cranberry sauce and it was so good! Bought another can of sauce and haven't been able to find the recipe since. If I'm using canned I don't like the whole berry, I buy the Ocean Spray cran-raspberry kind. I make my whole berry sauce fresh.

I like to marinate pork chops in buttermilk for about 4 hours (or overnight). I add various spices to the marinate. If I'm feeling very decadent, I'll make buttermilk gravy for the pork chops. Much like when you marinate chicken in buttermilk, the chops stay very moist and juicy. I don't use a recipe, but here are some links where the person makes the brine/marinade much like I do:

Juicy Buttermilk Pork Chops Recipe - Maria Hines | Food & Wine

For the gravy:

Smothered Pork Chops Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Thick rib chops. Prepared exactly like a rib steak, accept I cook them to medium well.

Costco has the best pork chops i have ever had. Every single time I buy them everyone remarks at how tender and tasty they are.
Season like a steak and grill, broil or fry them.

BT, I've been expanding my horizons. I like grilled pineapple slices with pinoy pork bbq.

that's a great combo to start with, andy. i recently turned my parents on to grilled pineapple. my mom eats it like candy when i bring a container to their house.

what about peaches and pork? both grill well, also.

Fruit just goes so well with chops!

that's a great combo to start with, andy. i recently turned my parents on to grilled pineapple. my mom eats it like candy when i bring a container to their house.

what about peaches and pork? both grill well, also.

I have a deuce of a time finding decent peaches around here.

that's too bad. it's been a good year here. we've gotten great peaches this year from georgia earlier in the summer, to lancaster pennsylvania in august, to some great jersey peaches these past two weeks.

I have a deuce of a time finding decent peaches around here.

That's great. The peaches we get are hard and crunch when you bite them. I'd love to get some ripe juicy peaches where the juice runs down your arm when you bite into it. Then I'd be tempted to eat fruit, make pies and even grill them.

Been many a year since we've found good peaches here.

I love pork chops with sauteed apples and onions. Ooh, and sauerkraut! Must be a German thing. I like to buy whole pork loins and cut my own too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom