"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pork chops: what's your cut?

what kind of pork chop person are you? rib, loin, sirloin end, or what?

i've noticed a lot of folks eating pork chops of late, so i just thought i'd ask.

recipes for your best pork chop are greatly appreciated.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

Ooo, pork chops. Well, for grilling our best ones have been the loin chop with the bone, cut double thick. I brine it a couple of hours before Himself slaps it on the ol' Sunbeam, never the same recipe twice. Although I will try to duplicate last year's version that used fresh apple cider - if I can find my recipe.

I buy a whole, cryo'ed boneless pork loin when they're on sale cheap, and cut thick chops from the middle part. I wrap and freeze the two roasts for crock-pot meals down the road. Maybe I pan cook the chops, maybe Himself cooks them outside, sometimes I grill them on the Cuisinart Griddler. Never anything fancy, and always seasoned differently.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Master Chef

I like them all except boneless!

I don't really use recipes for pork chops.

My first choice is a thick porterhouse or T bone cut. Brown them in a hot pan, season them with salt, pepper and Bell's poultry seasoning, cover and let cook for a few minutes until the moisture is evaporated and everything that remains in the pan is kind of brown and syrupy.

I like them breaded with a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, romano cheese, various herbs and spices. Sort of a cheapskates Shake'N Bake!

Stuffed thick cut pork chops are also high on my list, they are great for one or two people as a main course for a holiday meal.

Pork chops are also nice for breakfast with eggs and home fries.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Executive Chef

+1 on liking all pork chops. I love the real thick, bone in for grilling, beer brined of course. I like to use the boneless center cut, about 2" thick for stuffing with an apple, apple/sausage or cajun style mix. We have use the thin, bone in chops in scalloped potatoes or German version of boiled diner.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Head Chef

To tell you the truth, the only way I know to cook pork chops is the Shake 'N Bake way.

I'd like to make them another way.

Like...broiled or baked ...with a sliced onion on top.

Btw, stewed tomatoes as a side. Great reason to serve stewed tomatoes. With a pork chop.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Master Chef

This is nice on a cold winter night. You can use thin chops or pork steaks, don't shred the cabbage fine, make big ribbons about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide. The next day cook a carrot and some celery in chicken stock, chop the leftover cabbage milk mixture and combine them to make a great soup.

Thursday's Dinner - March 13, 2014
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
To tell you the truth, the only way I know to cook pork chops is the Shake 'N Bake way.

I'd like to make them another way.

Like...broiled or baked ...with a sliced onion on top.

Btw, stewed tomatoes as a side. Great reason to serve stewed tomatoes. With a pork chop.
Why not cook thin, bone in chops in the stewed tomatoes and serve over mashies? Season with S&P then brown the chops. Remove and saute sliced onion in the pan. Add the stewed tomatoes and deglaze the pan. Add the chops and any juices back, cover and braise until tender. You can do it stove top or in a 350 F oven.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I love pork chops especially bone-in rib chops. I serve them all kinds of ways. Always salt and pepper them first, or put those spices in the marinade, then:
  • Brushed with Dijon mustard mixed with dried thyme, then grilled
  • San Francisco chops - browned and simmered in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and red pepper flakes
  • Shoulder chops, a la city chicken - breaded, browned and simmered in onion gravy
  • Shoulder chops pizzaiola - browned and simmered in pizza sauce
  • Greek - marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic and pan-fried or grilled. Deglaze the browned bits in the pan with white wine and chicken stock, then pour it over the chops to serve.
  • Parmesan chops - breaded with Parmesan cheese, dried oregano and garlic powder in the breading, then pan-fried. Same pan sauce as above.
  • Maple-glazed loin chops - browned, then brushed with a mixture of real maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and red pepper flakes, then baked till done

I rarely bake them because I like to have the nice browned crust and crispy fat I also don't broil them because it's too easy to overcook them. If I cook them in a pan or on the grill, I can watch them more easily.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
+1 on liking all pork chops. I love the real thick, bone in for grilling, beer brined of course. I like to use the boneless center cut, about 2" thick for stuffing with an apple, apple/sausage or cajun style mix. We have use the thin, bone in chops in scalloped potatoes or German version of boiled diner.
I really like the idea of using the thin chops in scalloped potatoes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

If I buy bone-in chops I do so for stuffing. I prefer the single muscle of the rib chop over the loin chop which has a piece of the tenderloin attached or the shoulder chop which has several muscles involved.

Otherwise, I don't often buy from that part of the pig because it's too lean and dries out easily.

Tags
pork