Pork fillet with puy lentils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Pork fillet with mustard-seed Puy lentils
spacer.gif

Tasty mid-week supper dish or a light Sunday lunch
spacer.gif

A little olive oil for frying
pork fillet 300g, trimmed
2-3 tablespoons wholegrain English mustard
200g Puy lentils
100g potatoescut into chunks
2 smallish red onions, peeled and quartered
6 or 7 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oi, drained
2 good-sized sprigs of fresh thyme (doesn't matter what type)
700 ml beef stock (home made or from a bouillon cube)
Good handful of fresh parsley, chopped
spacer.gif
Heat a little olive oil in a deep frying pan, season the pork and spread with half of the mustard. Fry for a couple of minutes until lightly browned all over. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside.

Add the lentils, potatoes, onions, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme to the frying pan. Then mix the remaining mustard into the stock, pour over the lentil mixture and cook for 15 minutes.

Top with the pork fillet, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes. Leave the fillet to rest for 5 minutes before carving. Stir the parsley into the lentil mixture and serve with slices of pork.
spacer.gif

I had THE most amazing venison with puy lentils at a restaurant in Stirlingshire a while ago... and also had Aberdeen Angus filet of beef on a bed of barley. GREAT. I think that grains can often add something great to a dish... Mind you, I'm getting sick of being served polenta with all sorts of dishes!

For the past 5 years or so, it seems to have become one of THE elements on a plate in some styles of restaurants here! I like them, but in their place, not with totally inappropriate foods, as they seem to be sometimes served....:cool: Still, the fashion seems to be subsiding recently :mrgreen:

They do add an interesting flavour and make a change from potatoes!

Last edited:
I like them, but in their place, not with totally appropriate foods, as they seem to be sometimes served....

It's like any trend in food, people get carried away and go a bit overboard with it. I think a lot of people here in Australia are still reeling from the poached pear (generally in red wine) pandemic that swept through here a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom