"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
This is a 10-20 lb porkloin that is advertised frequently. We are also offered a whole ribeye which can weigh 10-20 lbs. They will slice it free of charge when you purchase it.
The smaller porkloins (10 lbs) can be stuffed, tied, and roasted (2 1/2 hrs).
You can have it sliced and divide it into meal portions. I am very dependent on these two items in particular to stretch my food budget and feed my family.
You're describing the loin, which is equivalent to the standing rib roast (prime rib) or boneless ribeye in beef.

The tenderloin is usually no more than a pound and a quarter and is equivalent to the tenderloin in beef. A pork tenderloin is less than 2" in diameter at the thick end and tapers off to less than an inch at the other end.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Connie,
We do them Milanese style which is the same except the flour has finely chopped parsley in it and after cooking we plave meat on a soft french roll and sprinkle on more chopped parsley with finely chopped garlic on top of the meat..give it a light squeese of lemon and let who ever grabs it put on any condiment such as lemon-mayo or just butter for the roll then there is lettuce, onion, avocado, tomato, or just the meat as they so choose.
never seem to have any leftovers though
kadesma

Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Andy M describes the pork tenderloin correctly. This is my photo gallery pictorial showing both pork tenderloins and pork loin cutlets with complete recipe variations learned from the best...

My Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Recipe Tutorial
BPT_Tutorial

I'm in the process of making my second annual holiday pork tenderloin sandwiches. The picture I posted was the first. I have them marinating in buttermilk overnight as we discuss. Tomorrow I will bread them with Japanese Panko bread crumbs and deep fry them. I found tenderloins nearly 3 inches in diameter. I'm still looking for a tenderloin capable of making a tenderloin sandwich the size I ate at the St. Olaf Tap in St. Olaf, Iowa.

Here is a movie I found that gives a couple of prep ideas for pork tenderloins that are not sandwiches but will show what a pork tenderloin looks like...

http://www.porkpeople.com/retail2/vi...tenderloin.mov

I should mention the discussion started as a pork fritter sandwich question. The fritter is what you think it is. It is a fabricated slab of meat from pork and is not a tenderloin. Low priced restaurants might have them, deep fry them and pass them off as tenderloins. I am not running across that very much. Also, some restaurants use pork loin cutlets. There is not a lot of difference but they will be a slightly tougher, less tender meat and a boneless pork chop a tad tougher, grainier yet.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

That picture looks AMAZING.. I am definitely going to be treating myself to one of these bad boys soon!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
That picture looks AMAZING.. I am definitely going to be treating myself to one of these bad boys soon!

Thanks for sharing!
I'm with you on this one !! Yum
Old 11-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
This is not a very recent thread but wow that looks good! Davydd I am in MN also can you get those around here (cities) anywhere or do I have to make my own?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

suziquzie,

There are surprisingly quite a few places in the Twin Cities that serve a pork tenderloin sandwich. Pictures are in my gallery at porktenderloinsandwich.com and I have reviewed quite a few of them in this blog.

Minnesota Restaurants

With your name you might want to try the Suzie Q Cafe in Mason City, Iowa. That's a day trip from the Twin Cities but a guaranteed great sandwich.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
suziquzie,

There are surprisingly quite a few places in the Twin Cities that serve a pork tenderloin sandwich. Pictures are in my gallery at porktenderloinsandwich.com and I have reviewed quite a few of them in this blog.

Minnesota Restaurants

With your name you might want to try the Suzie Q Cafe in Mason City, Iowa. That's a day trip from the Twin Cities but a guaranteed great sandwich.
Jonesy's around these parts (Cedar Rapids) claims to have the best tenderloins around. Although...one recently was shut down after an inspection!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #19
Head Chef

I live in Des Moines Ia. and just about every cafe/restaurant serves a pork tenderloin
and they are made from pork Loin not the tenderloin dipped in seasoned flour and egg wash then into cracker meal and then pounded into the meal so they stick and dried for severl hours to help retain the breading then deep fried at 350*F till nice and brown
I am 67 yrs old and can remember taking my girl frien out for tenderloins back in the 50s
there still woderful
Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Now how can they be all over the place just 200 miles away and unheard of here? Amazing how food can be so different in so many places.
I went to ST Louis a couple of years ago, we've been going there since I was a baby, my Dad's family is there. We only now discovered fried ravioli and Gooey Butter Cake. Had they been there all along or were they invented in the 10 years since I'd been there last?!

Tags
None