"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pork fritter sandwich

this might be a silly question but i know i can get help here.

in many bar and grills they will serve a sandwhich that is called
a pork tenderloin sandwhich. Is this really a tenderloin?
the piece of pork on most of the sandwhiches are about the size of the
plate. seems to me it would be very hard to flatten a pork tenderloin
the size of a plate. for some reason i am thinking it is really not the tenderloin and maybe a tenderized pork steak?

after i figure out what cut of meat to use how do i get the beading to
stick and stay on the meat when i fry it?

my husband has been craving one these sandwhiches and i would like
to make him one

Old 10-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Oh my goodness, we used to get these in Peoria. Cannot remember the name of the place, tho.

I think you could probably flatten a chunk of tenderloin to look like that, tho I doubt that is what is used. The pork steak is more likely.

You'd prepare it just as you would fried chicken, I'd think, and then the breading would stick just fine. Let us know how it turns out! Oh, those were SO delicious!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Cook

oh with the horseradish and onions and can't forget the fries
Old 10-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

It might be tenderloin--more likely a loin chop, tenderized, dipped in egg wash, then flour, back in egg, flour and then deep fried.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hello all

A web search landed me here. I forgot Andy had started this forum. Looks much like Airstreamforums.com. I hope it is as popular.

I guess I should set some of the misconceptions straight. The deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich in most places is cut from the pork tenderloin, tenderized by pounding out flat, marinaded, breaded and deep-fried. They are ubiquitous in all of Indiana, Iowa and outstate Illinois. They can be found with less frequency in the bordering states of those three and beyond they are scarce. Phoenix, with a snowbird and retiree population from the Midwest, especially Iowa, seems to belie that generality with several restaurants that serve them.

I could go on and on, but you can visit...

http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

...and learn all you care to learn. There is a photo gallery of over 40 restaurants visited plus several of my own. There are links to my Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog and my photo tutorial/recipe page, plus more.

Pictures? Here is a belated one by a few days...

Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

They are definitely in every restaurant in Central Illinois. You can buy a whole pork tenderloin and have it sliced any way that you want it. If sliced thick, it is comparable to butterfly chops. Cooked whole is a whole different method.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
They are definitely in every restaurant in Central Illinois. You can buy a whole pork tenderloin and have it sliced any way that you want it. If sliced thick, it is comparable to butterfly chops. Cooked whole is a whole different method.
Just a small "correction". I think you are referring to the pork loin which would be the larger side of a pork T-bone "steak", the smaller side being the tenderloin. The tenderloin is about an inch and a half in diameter and very tender. The loin is maybe 4" in diameter, usually very lean and prone to being tough if overcooked. I do think this is the thin cut that is run through a "cuber" (like cubed steak for country fried steak), battered and deep fried for these sandwiches.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

This is a 10-20 lb porkloin that is advertised frequently. We are also offered a whole ribeye which can weigh 10-20 lbs. They will slice it free of charge when you purchase it.
The smaller porkloins (10 lbs) can be stuffed, tied, and roasted (2 1/2 hrs).
You can have it sliced and divide it into meal portions. I am very dependent on these two items in particular to stretch my food budget and feed my family.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Cook

What do you normally marinade the tenderloin in?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Master Chef

My husband makes these, and they are better than anything I've ever eaten in a restaurant. He slices boneless pork tenderloin into 1/4" slices, and pounds the slices out with a meat mallet on a cutting board.
He seasons the cutlets with S&P, and then they go into seasoned flour, then into a beaten egg/milk mixture, back into the flour, and finally into the hot grease.
We do them in the electric skillet, in enough pre-heated peanut oil to cover (about 1-1/2") at 375 degrees. Once they are browned on the first side, he turns them and partially covers the skillet. When they are almost done, he removes the lid for a final crisp-up, then drains them on a rack over paper towels. DO NOT turn over and over, as that makes them greasy.

You can do the same thing with pork steaks...that's what the pork cutlets in the grocery store are made from...but they will have a lot more fat. They're cut from the butt (shoulder), and IMO aren't nearly as good as the loin for this purpose.

Tags
None