Pork Hocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
My border has simple tates, almost to a fault :LOL:. He likes meat and potatoes.....period. Considering I am a vegetarian forced to eat some red meat due to acute anemia, and my DH is gluten and lactose intolerant, this can make meals tricky sometimes.

The other day the border said he likes ham hocks and white beans. Does anyone have a recipe for this? I am embarassed to say that even with my training I am not sure what ham hocks are or how to serve them. I found a few recipes on the net but they weren't specifically hocks and beans.

Thanks!

Laurie, one thing you can do is to Google "white beans and ham." You'll come up with plenty of recipes. It's really "good eats."

I'm confident Uncle Bob will come along with a Tried-and-True recipe. This is right up his alley.

Laurie, one thing you can do is to Google "white beans and ham." You'll come up with plenty of recipes. It's really "good eats."

I'm confident Uncle Bob will come along with a Tried-and-True recipe. This is right up his alley.

So, pork hocks are ham? This is kind of funny because he really doesn't like ham. He also doesn't like anything with beans (chili, pork and beans) but said he likes pork hocks and white beans.

I did find some recipes under ham hocks and beans but they didn't seem like what he described.

Ah, but it doesn't taste like a regular ham you would buy. If I know my pork parts right, it's above the foot and below the knee.

I often see smoked pork hocks in the market. They are different from ham hocks.

The hock is the small end of a pork leg, near the hoof of the hog.

A traditional ham is cured and smoked. A smoked pork hock is smoked but not cured.

A smoked pork hock will give a great smoky flavor to the bean dish.

The hock should be slow cooked for at least 4 hours so it falls off the bone. Then add to beans etc.

Alternatively if you chop up the meat and discard the skin and bones and add 2lb (1kg) of frozen peas to the liquid with the meat and simmer for another hour you'll have great pea and ham soup. ;)

So, pork hocks are ham? This is kind of funny because he really doesn't like ham. He also doesn't like anything with beans (chili, pork and beans) but said he likes pork hocks and white beans.

I did find some recipes under ham hocks and beans but they didn't seem like what he described.

What did he describe?

In it's purest form - this is the basic technique for 1-lb white beans (that I learned from my grandmother) - Great Northern, Navy or Butter beans (really works with any kind of dried bean) :

1 - pick over, wash, drain, and add beans to a pot ... cover with cold water and soak overnight. Drain well when ready to cook.

2 - Make your "hock stock" - add the hocks to a 5-6 qt pot, add 2 qts of cold water (or a little more to cover) - bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer gently 1-4 hours.

3 - Remove the hocks to a plate and allow to cool until you can handle them. Cut the meat from the bones, dice it up (remove the skin if you wish), and add the meat and bones back to the pot. Drain and add the beans. Bring back to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour (add more water if necessary) - or until the beans are done to the degree that you want. Remove the bones and serve. I don't season (S&P) until the end of cooking.

OPTIONS: Some people like to saute a chopped onion in a little bacon drippin's - then add the water and hocks. Some people just add a quartered onion. Some people like to add a couple of bay leaves - either at the start of making the stock or when the beans are added. Some recipes call for other herbs and stuff like carrots, bell peppers, celery, etc.

You can also dice up a pound of smoked bacon and use that in place of the hocks (only requires an hour simmering), or salt pork (dice and blanch to remove some of the salt first) and simmer for about an hour. You can also replace the hocks with smoked turkey wings and/or legs.

I like mine served over a big wedge of cornbread, split and buttered, placed in the bottom of a bowl, and the beans poured on top.

The places around here use the terms for smoked ham/pork hocks interchangeably. And, the hocks we get are the knees - cut from just above the knee (the shank ham end) and just below the knee (the top of the shank which is usually the top part of pig's feet).

Last edited:
Thanks, Michael, this seems very close to what he described. I have Cannelli beans so will try with those. Only difference is instead of cornbread, he wants my buttermilk biscuits.

I love a challenge!

Back
Top Bottom