"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Head Chef

"Another option is buying a whole ham and using the bone after serving the ham for Sunday dinner, or slice most of the meat and use for sandwiches and other meals, leaving plenty of meat on the bone. Again, if not enough flavor is a problem, make a stock with it before adding the peas. The peas just don't take enough time to cook sometimes, so get as much flavor from those bones into the water before adding them as you possibly can."

That's what I do. I take as much of the meat off the bones as possible, start with the bones, and add chunks of ham minutes before serving.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I've boughten smoked hocks for a soup before and was very disappointed. I did not know there was a quality issue or that I maybe should have scored them. Good info. I will buy them from another source next time.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I buy a couple of packages of smoked hocks at a time and put them in the pressure cooker, with diced onion and garlic. Once they are done, I cool them, peel off the meat and the fat has been completely liquified. Divide the meat up, diced, into a few (3) containers and top with the juices and fat from the cooker. Usually about 1 1/2 cups of liquid per container. I get three starters for bean soups or split pea soup.

After a run through the pressure cooker, there's no flavor left in them bones.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Technicaly it is the same part of the animal. But they are not the same.
If the package says "Smoked Pork Hocks," then they are the same thing.

I use ham hocks to make pea and bean soups, but my mom always used a ham bone.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Several of you have convinced me to forget the hocks and use the good old bone in the ham roasts. Makes sense to me so after all this talk, I'm off to get a ham and go for it. Again, thanks to all of you. Julene
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
Cook

Pork Hocks vs. Ham Hocks

I recenty used smoked pork hocks -- the only hocks I could find -- rather than the ham bone or ham hocks my black-bean soup recipe called for. Big mistake...the soup was way too salty and had an over-the-top smoky flavor. Won't do this again, and if don't have a ham bone and can't find ham hocks, will use a ham slice. Who knew?

Tags
pork