Pork in a Slow Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daneldon

Assistant Cook
I was looking for a really good recipe for pork in a crock pot. I have done this several times and it is good, but I was looking for something that really stands out.

I take it this is a pork shoulder or pork butt?

You can try a combination of onions, apple jelly, a bit of chicken broth, and some Dijon grain mustard

You can also make a mixture out of pineapple puree, brown sugar, a bit of white wine

Using apple cider/juice and a bit of vinegar as your liquid is also good

I doubt beer will make the end result stand out in any way. You want to add herbs and spices.

I don't have answers, but I'm going to keep tabs on this thread... I'm looking for the same thing (a good pork recipe).

I just made some in the crockpot for dinner last night and put a little water and plenty of bar-b-que sauce in it. As it cooked, the sauce became very liquidy and the pork was totally submerged in it. I was VERY surprised when the pork was dry inside!

I think a darker beer would stand out in flavor and probably affect it more than you think flavorwise. You can cut it in half and try it two different ways on two different days :chef:

I don't have answers, but I'm going to keep tabs on this thread... I'm looking for the same thing (a good pork recipe).

I just made some in the crockpot for dinner last night and put a little water and plenty of bar-b-que sauce in it. As it cooked, the sauce became very liquidy and the pork was totally submerged in it. I was VERY surprised when the pork was dry inside!

KS - what cut of pork did you use? If you used a pork roast they are not meant for low and slow cooking. They are more geared toward a hefty sear and high heat in the oven/grill to finish. You want a cheaper cut i.e., Boston butt or shoulder for the low and slow.

Also, if you did in fact use one of the cheaper cuts, you just didnt' cook it long enough. It needs to come to an internal temp of at least 190 F.

It does sound more like you used a pork roast.

Last night I took a pork butt pan seared it. I took 1 pack of onion soup mix and combined it with 1cup water and 1cup (Beef Broth). I chopped carrots, parsnips, celery, an onion, and 3 cloves of garlic. I placed the pork in the crock pot seasoned with s&p threw in the veggies and covered it with the soup, water, and broth mixture. I let it cook for 6 hrs on low and 1 hr on high. Flipping it occasionally to cover in the juice.... It was fantastic! I was worried that the beef broth would be weird on the pork but it was very juicy, flavorful and tender!!!

Any meat that is overcooked, even if it's cooked in liquid, will be dry.

And leaner meats dry out faster.

Lean meats like chicken breasts and boneless pork chops don;t do well in crockpots.

Love on a Bun

Well, you could make a porketta. Butterfly and debone a 3 to 5 lb. pork shoulder. Mix 6 cloves of garlic, 2 Tbls salt, 2 Tbls black pepper, 1/4 c olive oil and 1/4 cup fennel seeds in a food processor. Spread the resulting paste inside the roast, tie and spread the rest on the outside of the roast. Put it in the crock on high for one hour and low for 6 more. Drain juices and untie, then pull and put on a bun. Enjoy. I've gotten many kisses and marriage proposals because of this recipe.

GG, your link went to something else on Food Network (weird!).

But I love chile verde (I usually use chicken) so I looked up other Food TV recipes. This one looks great! Recipes : Pork Chile Verde : Food Network

Was it the one you wanted to post, too?

Lee

Oops! That was a link I had copied for a different thread :wacko: Thanks for the heads-up, I fixed it. Yes, the link you gave is the one I meant :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom