Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love leftover dumplings. Slice them up, sauté in butter. Yum. Even better is to slice, sauté and then scramble eggs on them. Throw in leftover greenbeans and it's food for the gods! I love old fashioned farmhouse cooking.

I dunno, Aunt Bea. Dumplin's are alive and well at Casa de Hoot. I like the idea of dessert dumplin's in simmering blueberries. We gots blueberries in the freezer!

I hope you give them a try.

Fruit Dumplings
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1/3 cup milk (maybe ½ cup milk)

2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with cinnamon and or nutmeg.

Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gently mix in milk until it becomes a very soft dough.

Fruit Sauce
2 cups fresh or frozen peaches, pitted cherries, berries etc…
1/2 cup water
1/4 to a 1/2 cup sugar

Bring the fruit, water and sugar to a boil in a wide saucepan or small frying pan that has a tight fitting lid. Cook 3 or 4 minutes until the fruit begins releasing juice. Gently plop six dumplings onto the boiling fruit, sprinkle granulated sugar/spice mixture over dumplings, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and don’t peek for 15 minutes. Test a dumpling by cutting into it to see if it is cooked. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Don’t burn your tongue!

Last edited:
I am very salt sensitive so brining and salting is out.

I love pork sour kraut and dumplings in fall! Cut the pork into large serving sized chunks, cover in water, boil til tender. Then throw in a good quality kraut ( not Bavarian style) and caraway seed. Bring to a boil and throw in dumplings, nice big bread textured dumplings, not those Bisquick or noodle-like things. My dumplings are an old Czech that are the size of baseballs. They are bread textured, hold their shape and kind of remind me of large matzo balls. I really prefer it with boiled cabbage, but hubby would rather die than eat cabbage (he likes kraut.)

Could you post a recipe for these??? Love dumplings, so do my hips, they hate to give them up:rolleyes:

I buy the whole pork loin when it's on sale because it's cheap, but I don't remember it ever being really dry or stringy when I roast it. :huh: Most times I take the entire cryovac bag from the fridge, wash it good in soapy water since I cut right through the bag, then let it sit out while I get my other stuff ready for it. I need a length of freezer wrap, one of foil, and my plastic wrap since Himself doesn't like pork after it's been frozen. Hah! Figured out one thing I can cheat with: I'll cut and wrap about 1/3 of the loin, wrap in plastic, then foil, then freezer wrap, and save for a crockpot meal. I make the sauerkraut/sometimes onion/caraway seed dinner, letting the pork get so well done it's falling apart. I serve it with mashed potatoes because I like ramming it into the pile and getting pork, kraut and mashed all in one bite. :yum:

I season and roast the rest, or maybe save a couple cuts for breaded pork chops a few days later. By this time the roast is at room temp, so that might help with the "not dry" issue. We have dinner from it once, then I cool the rest and slice it wafer-thin, put it into the crockpot with BBQ sauce and let it cook on low until it's all falling apart. I then cool and pack up into dinner portions, putting it away for suppers when I don't want to cook.

I have a raincheck for a whole pork loin I have to use before the end of the month. I think I'll use some of it to try this: Pork Parmesan Medallions

Pork loin is my choice for tasso. Sliced 1/2-3/4" thick, rubbed with a cajun spice mix, cured for 7-10 days in the fridge and then smoked on the pit. Great in jambalaya, pasta with tasso cream sauce and several other dishes.

CG, it is 3:30 in the morning and I am confused. Are you saying you wash the cryovac in soapy water or the pork loin? If it is the wrapping, why? Why not just cut it open and discard? :angel:

I wash the packaging - just as if it were the skin on a melon or other piece of fruit. I have no idea where that plastic was before I brought it home. Who knows what kind of stuff I'd be drawing through the meat as I cut it. :ermm: Extreme safety I suppose, but as far as we know we've never had any problem with a food-borne sickness. And it's easier for me to divide the roast in two in my sink than on a cutting board. Once I have it in two pieces I then do the rest of the cutting on a cutting board.

I wash the packaging - just as if it were the skin on a melon or other piece of fruit. I have no idea where that plastic was before I brought it home. Who knows what kind of stuff I'd be drawing through the meat as I cut it. :ermm: Extreme safety I suppose, but as far as we know we've never had any problem with a food-borne sickness. And it's easier for me to divide the roast in two in my sink than on a cutting board. Once I have it in two pieces I then do the rest of the cutting on a cutting board.
I understand about washing the plastic wrapping because you are cutting through it, but why are you cutting through the plastic?

Maybe she cuts it in half while it is in the package, then handles each half and the accompanying blood separately. I know a long loin (or rack of ribs for that matter) is never fun to handle in my limited space. Most loins are even too long for my half sheet pan to try to slip a whole one out of the bag without making a mess.
At least that's my guess.

I usually cut the end open and cut of chunks in sizes I think I will want to use and wrap them in cling wrap for the freezer. Then I put a clip on the cryovac plastic for the stuff I plan to use within a few days. It would probably would be a good idea to wash that plastic first. It's kinda hard to keep it off the cutting board.

That's what I did with the ribeye loin I just cut, I cut the end off and pushed the meat out (like a squeeze-pop) as I was cutting, basically cutting in the same spot on the board while the bag worked it's way further into the sink. No meat really came into contact with the outside of the bag.

Maybe she cuts it in half while it is in the package, then handles each half and the accompanying blood separately. I know a long loin (or rack of ribs for that matter) is never fun to handle in my limited space. Most loins are even too long for my half sheet pan to try to slip a whole one out of the bag without making a mess.

DingDingDing! We have a winner! Give that young man a kewpie doll.
images

taxy, I don't know why I find it easier to do this way, but it works for me.

If you read back, the original question was "did she wash the packaging or the meat in soapy water." It was the hour and the way she worded it. I understood that it was a full pork loin, but at that hour it didn't take much to confuse me. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom