Pork Loin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a loin alright. A tenderloin is a out 2" in diameter at the thick end and tapers off to a point. It's about a foot long and weighs about 1.0 - 1.5 pounds. It's almost always sold whole and its meat isn't as white as loin meat.

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but a couple of times I bought pork tenderloin and the meat was cut into medallions. I don't remember seeing an indication of this on the package, so it was a surprise :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

I don't know if this is a regional thing, but a couple of times I bought pork tenderloin and the meat was cut into medallions. I don't remember seeing an indication of this on the package, so it was a surprise :ohmy::ROFLMAO:
Oh my, I would be hopping mad. I have one or two recipes for pork tenderloin medallions, but more for whole pork tenderloin.

I've only stuffed tenderloin. I've love an interesting medallion recipe.

Well, since I already had plans for a tenderloin, I went ahead with that. It's a recipe by Cooks' Illustrated where you brown the meat, then roll it in a mixture of maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon and cayenne and roast till done, then make a quick pan sauce with mustard.

Maple-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

oops, I meant to say I'd love a tenderloin recipe, not I've... :(

I had to read that over a couple times to figure out what you were correcting :LOL:

In case I wasn't clear above, I used the maple glaze tenderloin recipe I posted on medallions because I was already planning to use that recipe and had the other ingredients on hand.

I had to read that over a couple times to figure out what you were correcting :LOL:

In case I wasn't clear above, I used the maple glaze tenderloin recipe I posted on medallions because I was already planning to use that recipe and had the other ingredients on hand.

Thanks. I thought it was for a full size tenderloin.

Loins are the great big 7 lb or larger things. They are very lean and dry out easily. They are best butterflied open, stuffed, rolled and tied. Tenderloins are those cute little roasts that are oh so tender and make wonderful tender juicy medallions. Don't overcook. I never use a meat thermometer. I go by touch.

Loins are the great big 7 lb or larger things. They are very lean and dry out easily. They are best butterflied open, stuffed, rolled and tied. .

I disagree with that statement. There are all kinds of ways to cook them whole w/o them being dry. Brining is one. Cuban style using a mojo type marinade and then rubbing a garlic/herb paste and placing the onions from the marinade on top are another. There are a myriad of other ways as well. The cook just has to watch the roast and not let it overcook.

Interesting. Every time I hear someone talk about pork loin, I assume they know the difference between loin and tenderloin and mean the loin, unless they say something that specifically indicates confusion.

Sorry, I have never seen a piece of loin that is 12" long and 4-5" in diameter, weigh only 1-1.5 lbs. A tenderloin I can see in that weight and size range.:rolleyes:

What strength salt solution and for how long would you brine medallions before pan frying/sauting them?

I wouldn't brine pork tenderloin medallions, would just season with S&P and anything else you might want, dust with flour and brown in butter on each side, remove from pan and then make whatever kind of sauce is going with them.

Probably wouldn't brine pork loin medallions either. Medallions are just too thin and take too short of a time to cook to even bother with brining.

We particularly like to brine thick (1-1/4+) pork chops and I don't really measure anymore, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups water/1 cup of ice cubes depending on how salty you like your food. I usually throw in some brown sugar or molasses and some thyme or cumin or whatever for the flavor profile I'm looking for. I usually let them brine for anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours depending on when I remember to do them and how much time I have before dinner. Brining for even a short while helps keep thicker pork chops from drying out and adds flavor to the meat from the salt.

Sorry, I have never seen a piece of loin that is 12" long and 4-5" in diameter, weigh only 1-1.5 lbs. A tenderloin I can see in that weight and size range.:rolleyes:

"The guy" cooking it said it was 1 1/2 lb. It was my estimation from seeing it on TV that it was 12 inches long and 4-5" diameter.

It was clearly my mistake.

I agree, except I've never seen a pork tenderloin more than 3" thick, and not usually that thick at the thick end.

I had a pork tenderloin that was almost 4" thick on one end.
It turns out they came two to a package and I didn't realize that until I cut it to size and went to open it up for stuffing :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom