"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Pork Loin

I just watched a cooking show on public television. The guy had a pork loin, 1-1/2 lb. He butterflied it to form a rectangle and pounded it slightly to make it thin and even. He stuffed it with wilted spinach and some kind of cheese, he said use your favorite, and rolled it up and fastened it. He browned it all over in oil, then put it in the oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking. I am questioning the 10 minute time. I don't recall the temp he used, but 10 minutes doesn't seem very long. It looked delicious when he sliced it. Do you think I could just use an instant read thermometer and get it to the desired temp for pork, I think it's 185. I am one who has to have exact directions when cooking something for the first time.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I just watched a cooking show on public television. The guy had a pork loin, 1-1/2 lb. He butterflied it to form a rectangle and pounded it slightly to make it thin and even. He stuffed it with wilted spinach and some kind of cheese, he said use your favorite, and rolled it up and fastened it. He browned it all over in oil, then put it in the oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking. I am questioning the 10 minute time. I don't recall the temp he used, but 10 minutes doesn't seem very long. It looked delicious when he sliced it. Do you think I could just use an instant read thermometer and get it to the desired temp for pork, I think it's 185. I am one who has to have exact directions when cooking something for the first time.
Yes, use an instant read thermometer.

NO!!! Not 185! Pork is properly cooked and completely safe at 145F.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, use an instant read thermometer.

NO!!! Not 185! Pork is properly cooked and completely safe at 145F.

I believe you, because I know from this forum that you are an experienced cook, but my meat thermometer says 185 for fresh pork, my McCalls Cookbook has a roasting time table and it says 185, and a recipe I have for Polynesian Loin Roast of Pork says 185. Why the big difference?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Seems to me the USDA revised the minimum temp for pork in 2011, but I might be mistaken about the date.
USDA Minimum Temperatures If you scroll near the end, there is a chart.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Proud American

Oh this is what DA said to do with this! I put a stuffing of cabbage and cheese to it, and bake it until it is finished. I bake it for longer than 10 minutes. If it is a larger one, for 20 minutes.

These are very good!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Seems to me the USDA revised the minimum temp for pork in 2011, but I might be mistaken about the date.

I bookmarked that chart. I'm so glad I posted this question or I would have stuffed shoe leather! The cookbook I quoted is a very old cook book and I never thought the cooking chart would be outdated. I still don't understand the meat thermometer...it's not that old.

I should probably look up a new cooking chart for other things I make. I might be over cooking everything!
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I bookmarked that chart. I'm so glad I posted this question or I would have stuffed shoe leather! The cookbook I quoted is a very old cook book and I never thought the cooking chart would be outdated. I still don't understand the meat thermometer...it's not that old.

I should probably look up a new cooking chart for other things I make. I might be over cooking everything!
I have a meat doneness chart taped to the inside of a cabinet door for easy reference. I've attached a copy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Meat Doneness Chart.pdf (12.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I believe you, because I know from this forum that you are an experienced cook, but my meat thermometer says 185 for fresh pork, my McCalls Cookbook has a roasting time table and it says 185, and a recipe I have for Polynesian Loin Roast of Pork says 185. Why the big difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
It used to be believed that 185F was necessary to kill any trichina worms. Modern methods have lowered the number of infected pigs and hogs. Research has shown that lower temps are needed to kill the trichina worms and the safe temperature depends on how long the meat is at that temperature.

Here's a USDA table of temps & times for safe cooking of pork:

Trichinosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I don't cook pork to 185F, but neither is it done at 145F at my house. 165F does it.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Modern pork is very different from the pork of our parents' generation.

Pork from the middle of the last century and before was raised in very different and unsanitary conditions. These conditions fostered the presence of trichina worms. This lead to the fear of illness in consumers which lead in turn to over reaction and overcooking pork. Back then, pork was a fattier meat so a little overcooking didn't result in pork jerky.

Modern pork is a very different animal. It is raised in sanitary conditions and is treated to prevent the growth of trichina. Regardless, it has been proved by the FDA that cooking pork to 145F instantly kills any nasties present. In addition, pork has been bred to be a very lean meat so overcooking yields dry and dust pork (most noticeable in the pork loin). This is why brining is now recommended for lean pork cuts like the loin.

Granted, cooking pork to 145F results in a pink blush in the meat and, since old fears die hard, this is a huge turn off for some.

Tags
other, pork, pork loin