Pork Loins on sale again..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Anyone near a Krogers grocery store. $1.67lb with a Kroger card..
Can't afford to eat hamburger at those prices.

I think I'm taking a half day off work tommorrow to cook up a recipe brewing in my brain..

Roast pork loin smothered in a chipotle/tomato/roasted red pepper sauce... Hoping for a kind of sweet, tangy coating with a smoky hot bite..but not hot enough to detract from the delicate pork flavor...

I always want to throw a party when Kroger or Marsh has whole pork loins on sale. Great meat at an even better price. I usually buy 2, freeze one and roast 1 whole right away, and use it over the course of a week or so for sandiwches, or mole, tacos, italian food... really I just substitute that pork for whatever meat I would have used otherwise.

oooooooh, I'm jealous - I just bought a 2.3 lb. pork loin today for $15.

Your idea sounds great, Jeff. Will you be adding a bit of liquid smoke to your recipe?
Also, if it turns out well, please post your recipe. Sounds like something I'd love!

Here's two of my world famous pork recipes.

Chinese Dragon

3 ½ to 5 pound boneless dragon loin (if dragon isn’t available, you can use pork, but your guests will be able to tell the difference)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Marinade:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp five-spice powder

Garnish:
1 cup mango, diced
1/2 cup pineapple, diced
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted, unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.
3. Trim excess fat from dragon loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.
4. Place the dragon loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160°F. Allow dragon loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice and serve dragon loin garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

PILIPINO STYLE PORK ROAST WITH LECHON SAUCE

1 5 to 7 pound pork loin or butt

Rub:
1-teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons peanut oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Preheat oven to 500F, or as high as your oven goes. Mix all above ingredients and rub into pork. Place pork in a roasting pan on a rack. Roast pork in 500F oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to cook for approximately 45 minutes per pound, but use a meat thermometer. The roast is done when the internal temperature reaches 145F. Allow the roast to rest, covered with aluminum foil, while you make the lechon sauce below. You can use the lechon sauce as a dipping sauce, or as gravy, depending on your taste.

Lechon Sauce

Ingredients

· one 4-ounce can liver pate
· 1/3 cup vinegar
· 1 cup water
· 1/3 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup bread crumbs
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil
· 1 tablespoon minced garlic
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

Directions

Mix liver pate, vinegar, water, sugar, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion until transparent. Add garlic and cook until browned. Add liver mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens to taste.

pork sale

yes, I bought a pork loin as well as country style spare ribs, both for 99c /lb.
Today we used the last of the homemade sauerkraut with the spareribs. It cooked all day in the crockpot smothered in the stuff, and potatoes on top.

I cut the loin in half and I'm going to brine it and then do a rub and smoke it for 5 or 6 hours, and make pulled pork out of it. I'll put a lot of that away for future jiffy meals. I like to take some of that, and mix it with my spicy freezer slaw and cook it up for a great barbeque sandwich.

btw, what is the deal calling it "pulled" pork. I can't remember anybody calling it that 50 years ago, when we regularly made pork barbeque. Is that just somebody's high falutin' term to sell that treat more expensively or make it sound high class?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom