Pork neck bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought some pork neck bones hoping to use it similar to a ham hock in adding flavor to my Fabada dish. I can't find any ham hocks around here that aren't some ghastly smoked ones with preservatives. Will the neck bones add much flavor to my dish?

It's a stew of basically great northern beans, chorizo, bell pepper and onion that is simmered for a couple hours. The neck bones seem to have some meat on them, is it any good? Should I brown them if I use them?

I stopped using bacon in my recipe, so I'm trying to add a lil more flavor. Good bacon is way too expensive to be using in this, which is my cheap but good for cold weather recipe.

The neck bones should work well in your recipe callahan. No need to brown them, just add them to the water and boil. When the bones have cooked long enough to release the meat from the bone, strip off the meat and add it back to your stew. Like my mama used to say, "the nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat."
Any time you stew bones, you're adding a richness of flavor to the broth like nothing else will ever do. If you feel like you'll miss the smoky taste of bacon, you could always add a very small amount of liquid smoke to the mix. That stuff is really strong so be very careful.

Last edited:
The bacon would have added a smoked flavor. The "ghastly smoked" hocks also add a smoked flavor. If you use a non-smoked meat, it won't taste the same. Roasting the neck bones will provide added flavor over raw ones.

I always thought adding bones made stuff more flavorful. I don't really care about a smoked flavor, I just want to make it a little richer. I'd use the hocks, but the ones we can get are filled with additives.

I always thought adding bones made stuff more flavorful. I don't really care about a smoked flavor, I just want to make it a little richer. I'd use the hocks, but the ones we can get are filled with additives.

OK. Any smoked product you buy will have more ingredients than the fresh counterpart because of the smoke.

Roast the neck bones for a richer flavor. It will take hours for the favor extraction to happen.

OK. Any smoked product you buy will have more ingredients than the fresh counterpart because of the smoke.

Roast the neck bones for a richer flavor. It will take hours for the favor extraction to happen.

So I can't just put it straight away into the pot? I have to roast it first then add it?

For a dish like Fabada I would use a small ham steak, chopped up, if you do not want to use smoked hocks. You will get more meat for your money and less additives, although ham does have some but then so does cured chorizo. You could also skip the meat and add some stock. If you use the neck bones they can be raw or roasted but, pre-roasting them before adding them will give a deeper flavor.

Put them in a shallow pan, coat them with a little oil, salt and pepper. Roast @ 400º F for an hour. then add them to the sauce.

You can roast them ahead of time and refrigerate them until needed. Just be sure to save all the juices in the pan too.

Ok thanks, I would figure 400 was too high but I'll try that.

Temperature isn't critical here. You're not aiming for a perfect medium rare or juicy turkey breast meat. Any temp from 300-400 will cook the pork bones. The higher temps also add some caramelization (deep browning) for added flavor.

Put them in a shallow pan, coat them with a little oil, salt and pepper. Roast @ 400º F for an hour. then add them to the sauce.

You can roast them ahead of time and refrigerate them until needed. Just be sure to save all the juices in the pan too.

I would be tempted to cover with sliced onions and some minced garlic, get all that roasted goodness.

Only an hour, I think there would be plenty of meat and onion juices to keep the garlic from burning. I usually have to be very strict with myself to not eat all the fond...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom