Pork Pie Recipe anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Hi all :)
I've only once had a decent pork pie made by a gentleman from the UK that used to sell them at a market in SA. He's no longer there and I would love to try and make my own. The kind with jelly around the pork, he called them "Mowbray Pork Pies"
We don't really get Pork Pies here since it's not South African and I love them!

Here's a recipe for a Canadian style pork pie that's pretty good. Not sure how it compares to what you are looking for. The "Andre" is me.

Tourtiere de Andre

1½ Lb Ground Pork
1 Onion, minced
½ C Celery, minced
2 Garlic
¼ C Parsley, minced
¼ tsp Ground Clove
½ tsp Savory, dry
TT Salt & Pepper
½ C Water
¼ C Rolled Oats
1 Pastry for a 9” Pie
1 Egg
1 Tb Milk

Place all but the last four ingredients into a large fry pan. Bring the pan to a boil and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasonings in the last 5 minutes.

Stir in the oats and cook a minute more. Remove from the heat and cool.

Place the bottom crust in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Put the cooled meat mixture into the crust.

Cover the pie with the top crust. Cut a generous vent hole in the top crust.

Whisk the egg and milk together and brush onto the piecrust.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool 10–15 minutes before slicing. May be served hot or cold.

Here's a recipe for a Canadian style pork pie that's pretty good. Not sure how it compares to what you are looking for. The "Andre" is me.

Tourtiere de Andre

1½ Lb Ground Pork
1 Onion, minced
½ C Celery, minced
2 Garlic
¼ C Parsley, minced
¼ tsp Ground Clove
½ tsp Savory, dry
TT Salt & Pepper
½ C Water
¼ C Rolled Oats
1 Pastry for a 9” Pie
1 Egg
1 Tb Milk

Place all but the last four ingredients into a large fry pan. Bring the pan to a boil and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasonings in the last 5 minutes.

Stir in the oats and cook a minute more. Remove from the heat and cool.

Place the bottom crust in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Put the cooled meat mixture into the crust.

Cover the pie with the top crust. Cut a generous vent hole in the top crust.

Whisk the egg and milk together and brush onto the piecrust.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool 10–15 minutes before slicing. May be served hot or cold.

Sounds good :) I'll give it a try, I've only had British pork pie with jelly.
What is Savory? Never heard of it

I thought pork pie was a men's hat style? Popeye Doyle wore one in The French
Connection

porkpie.jpg

Someone knock on Bolas' door. He's in Wales, Snip. But I'll bet this recipe from Andre' is a winner no matter what its country of origin.

I, too, make a tourtiere every Christmas season, and most years one of my sisters calls me to talk them through it (actually, I'm sure they don't really need the help, it's just part of the tradition -- if I am there, I make it, if not, we laugh through it).

Because the ones I ate when young were SO heavy, and I had bad luck with the ground pork I could get in Florida, I start with:

1 pkg of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
1 pkg of ground turkey
1 rib celery
1 small or 1/2 large onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic
2 slices bacon.

I saute the finely chopped veggies with the chopped bacon for oil, then add the pork and turkey. When this is almost cooked (remember, you're going to bake it):

1/2 to 1 cup or so of water or stock (I like to use just plain chicken stock just for extra meaty flavor).

2 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
salt & pepper

Now is where I really cheat. I get some instant potato flakes, and thicken the filling with that! (My parents/grandparents actually used potatoes, but everyone likes my shortcut and not one person has ever said a word about the short-cut).

I use a pre made pie crust from the dairy section. Fill, top and seal. Then it's about a half hour at 350, but keep an eye on it, when the crust is brown and crispy, it's done; your filling is already cooked.

The JD sausage is simply a short cut ... minced or ground pork for all of the meat will do just fine.

Keep your eyes out, we of French-Canadian background will post more tourtiere recipes as the holidays approach!

This is wonderful as a brunch dish, and there are as many recipes as there are French-Canadians out there (I have at least 8 recipes). My family likes this one in particular because it is a little lighter and the couple of shortcuts make life easier for them ... they can call me at 5 p.m. and have that traditional tourtiere to eat after midnight mass.

Thank you, Claire! Copied and printed.

That's just the kind of simple meat pie recipe I've been looking for. Your shortcuts are great. I really like the idea of mashed potato flakes, both for their thickening as well as the flavor.

The best part is I always have ground sausage on hand. It's easier and cheaper to find in the grocery store. All I have to get now is a pie crust. Adding that to the list right now.

These are my Gala Pork Pies, the are made the same way as a Melton Mowbray pie but have a hard boiled egg in the middle of the pork filling. I will post the method in the next 24 hrs img004.jpg

These are my Gala Pork Pies, the are made the same way as a Melton Mowbray pie but have a hard boiled egg in the middle of the pork filling. I will post the method in the next 24 hrs View attachment 11403

Oh goodie :) Feel like a kid at on Christmas morning, I'm hoping that's a jelly hole I see at the top. Can't wait for the recipe, it looks wonderful!

My husband is from the UK, so he was very excited when I told him about the pork pie recipes. Silly question, but where do you get the jelly? I don't think I've ever seen it in stores. Those pies look so yummy Bolas. I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe.

my "Go To" recipe...............

Pig Pie

Serving Size: 8
2 whole pie crust prepared
30 ounces ground pork browned and drained
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 teaspoons Chinese five spice seasoning
salt to taste
4 whole eggs beaten
4 ounces onion minced fine
4 ounces mushroom minced fine
12 ounces cream cheese
6 cups mashed potatoes leftover
Brown meat thoroughly with 5-spice, onions, soy sauce and salt. Drain and set aside to cool.
Prebake pie shells slightly in deep dish plates, but don't let them begin to brown.
Combine cooled meat with cream cheese and beaten eggs and divide mixture between pies, then top with mashed potatoes (like whipped cream) and bake for 35 minutes at 350.
Each pie serves 4 for a full meal.

My husband is from the UK, so he was very excited when I told him about the pork pie recipes. Silly question, but where do you get the jelly? I don't think I've ever seen it in stores. Those pies look so yummy Bolas. I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I thought it had to be made from scratch, never seen it in shops either. Hopefully the recipe tells us how that Bolas is sending :)

Hot Water Crust pastry.
The first number of times I made this pastry I used my mixer.
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup lard (cresco I think you call it)
1 cup of water
1 egg yolk.
Sift the flour and salt into your mixer bowl.
Heat the lard and the water in a pan till boiling so the lard has melted.
Pour the boiling liquid into the flour and mix using your beater for about 20 secs on minimum speed.
Add your egg yolk and mix for 20 secs increase the speed till pastry leaves the side of the bowl.
Leave in the bowl till it cools enough for you to handle.
Jelly stock
This should be made using pigs trotters, I use a strong chicken stock and leaf gelatine.
Filling
1 kgs fatty butt pork hand cut into a 1/4" cubes
1/2 a small onion fine dice and sweated in butter
A pinch of dried sage
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1 pinch of ground mace
Mix till combined.
Assemble
Grease a loaf tin as in the pic the line with the pastry, put in the filling, pack it in firmly, place the top on and crimp, make a hole in the top for the hot liquid jelly stock.Glaze with egg wash
Bake in a hot oven 400f for 30 mins then turn down to 350f and bake for a further 1 1/2 hrs.
Take pie out of the oven and let it cool a little, using a funnel pour the hot jelly stock into the hole till full, leave for ten mins and top up if needed.
Cool then place in the fridge for 24 hrs for the flavors to mature.

NB if yo want a Gala (party) pie hard boil two eggs and put in the middle of the filling.

Hot Water Crust pastry.
The first number of times I made this pastry I used my mixer.
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup lard (cresco I think you call it)
1 cup of water
1 egg yolk.
Sift the flour and salt into your mixer bowl.
Heat the lard and the water in a pan till boiling so the lard has melted.
Pour the boiling liquid into the flour and mix using your beater for about 20 secs on minimum speed.
Add your egg yolk and mix for 20 secs increase the speed till pastry leaves the side of the bowl.
Leave in the bowl till it cools enough for you to handle.
Jelly stock
This should be made using pigs trotters, I use a strong chicken stock and leaf gelatine.
Filling
1 kgs fatty butt pork hand cut into a 1/4" cubes
1/2 a small onion fine dice and sweated in butter
A pinch of dried sage
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1 pinch of ground mace
Mix till combined.
Assemble
Grease a loaf tin as in the pic the line with the pastry, put in the filling, pack it in firmly, place the top on and crimp, make a hole in the top for the hot liquid jelly stock.Glaze with egg wash
Bake in a hot oven 400f for 30 mins then turn down to 350f and bake for a further 1 1/2 hrs.
Take pie out of the oven and let it cool a little, using a funnel pour the hot jelly stock into the hole till full, leave for ten mins and top up if needed.
Cool then place in the fridge for 24 hrs for the flavors to mature.

NB if yo want a Gala (party) pie hard boil two eggs and put in the middle of the filling.

Thank you Bolas :) This was exactly what I was looking for! I've written it in my book of favourite recipes and I'll make it at soon as I get the trotters.

Back
Top Bottom