Pork Pilaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Pork Pilaf, flavoured with sherry, saffron and paprika
This is my attempt at a dish which is quite popular on Spanish menus. I’ve also used lamb steaks when I had forgotten to buy pork!.
450g pork fillet, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
Large pinch saffron strands
250g basmati rice
50g raisins
4 tbsp Fino sherry (don’t use ‘cooking’ sherry!)
1 – 1.25 litres vegetable stock (start with 1 litre and add if the mixture looks too dry)
50g roasted almonds
Good handful fresh flat leaf parsley
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the whole piece of pork fillet on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle with the paprika and add a little seasoning. Roast for 25-30 minutes until the pork is well cooked, ie not pink!
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the saffron strands and rice. Stir over a high heat until lightly coated with oil then add the raisins and the sherry. Cook for 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly then pour in the stock and stir well. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the pork from the oven and rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into 2cm-thick rounds. Serve with the rice, sprinkled with almonds and parsley. Drizzle with any remaining pan juices.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, but any paprika would do - I use whatever I have in the cupboard!

Back
Top Bottom