"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Pork Pilaf

Pork Pilaf, flavoured with sherry, saffron and paprika
This is my attempt at a dish which is quite popular on Spanish menus. I’ve also used lamb steaks when I had forgotten to buy pork!.
450g pork fillet, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
Large pinch saffron strands
250g basmati rice
50g raisins
4 tbsp Fino sherry (don’t use ‘cooking’ sherry!)
1 – 1.25 litres vegetable stock (start with 1 litre and add if the mixture looks too dry)
50g roasted almonds
Good handful fresh flat leaf parsley
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the whole piece of pork fillet on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle with the paprika and add a little seasoning. Roast for 25-30 minutes until the pork is well cooked, ie not pink!
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the saffron strands and rice. Stir over a high heat until lightly coated with oil then add the raisins and the sherry. Cook for 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly then pour in the stock and stir well. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the pork from the oven and rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into 2cm-thick rounds. Serve with the rice, sprinkled with almonds and parsley. Drizzle with any remaining pan juices.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Sounds awesome, Ishbel! I might be tempted to add a little of that wonderful Spanish smoked paprika, too!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, but any paprika would do - I use whatever I have in the cupboard!

Tags
None