Pork pot pie recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcus

Cook
My pork pot pie is very delicious. It substitutes the chicken in chicken pot pie with lean pork cutlets. Amazingly, my recipe calls for pork broth rather than chicken broth. I bought the pork broth at a local Chinese take-out restaurant. Want to see the recipe? :chef:

Ingredients:
1 package pie crusts
1/3 cup margarine (or butter)
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups pork broth
2/3 cup milk
3 cups pork, cooked
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

Procedure:
Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.

In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.

Add pork, corn, and peas; remove from heat. Spoon pork mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust and flute; cut slits in several places.

Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden-brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I'd be interested. We actually get a very good pork pie from our grocery Market Basket. I tried making meat pie with not too much success. This pork pie is pretty good, although salty and I just buy or make gravy to go with it.

Also, I"m guessing the already made pie crusts "like deep dish ect" are fine enough. Also, ground pork? Is that good enough do you think? Or it won't be the same?

Marcus said:
Amazingly, my recipe calls for pork broth rather than chicken broth. I bought the pork broth at a local Chinese take-out restaurant.
If you have any interest in a home made pork stock try slo-simmering equal parts split pig foot (not pickled!) and smoked ham hock for several hours. Add the normal aromatics up front if desired. Chill and remove fat.

Thanks for the help. I could also nick a broth or stock recipe from Emeril Lagasse's collection and substitute chicken or beef bones with pork bones. Perhaps I'll try this someday.

Back
Top Bottom