Pork ribs.. how long do you roast them before bbqing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
to make the ribs tender before you bbq them.. about how long do you put them in the oven with water and at what temperature.. to make the tender before you bbq them?
Or do you just boil them? Help I want to make them tonight :chef:

they are pork side ribs center cut.. and I have no clue what to really do with them :)

I'm sure you will get alot of responses here - different responses. Here is how I do mine. I put the ribs in a large roasting pan with only the bottom covered in water. I put foil on top and bake in a 275-300 degree oven for about two hours. I put them on the grill for about 10 minutes - then comes the sauce. These usually fall off the bone.

The key to tender ribs is a long cooking time with a low temperature. Boiling should not be involved-ever (IMO).

You can cook them part way in the oven and finish over charcoal and wood chips for a smokey flavor or you can do them for the whole time over charcoal.

I would cook pork ribs for 3-4 hours at 225F with no water involved and expect tender ribs. The best way to add flavor is to apply a dry rub of spices 24 hours before coooking and a second coat just before cooking.

Pork Ribs

Hello Debbie:

this is bigjim, this is a quick and easy recipe>
Jim`s country style pork ribs
1. 6 country style pork ribs
1 48oz. can pnieapple juice
1 bottle of bulls-eye bbq sauce
directions:
1. trim all excess fat of the ribs
2. place ribs into a large stock-pot with juice
3. place stock-pot on stove a let them boil for 1 hour.
drain.
4. place ribs on a cookie sheet and baste with sauce on oneside.
5. place ribs in oven and broil for 2-3 minutes.
6. repeat process for other side.
7. take out and baste a third time and let set for 5 minutes .
they are now ready to serve. I usually serve these with my potato salad.
***these ribs will be so tender that after being cooked you will need a
spatula to move them**** enjoy......

I'm with Michelmarie here - start 'em in the oven with just a little water; I use a baking sheet with a cookie-cooling rack on top of it to place the ribs on, then I just put a little water in the bottom of the baking sheet, add the ribs, cover with foil and bake for about 2 1/2 hours before they go on the grill.

Michelemarie is right about there being a a lot of opinions, and we have done it both ways.

Generally prefer marinating and then long slow smoking/cooking.

But the pre-cooking method works just fine.

Just my humble opinion, and you have some other great ones here.

:) When cooking ribs {pork]make sure it does not have a kind of skin on the back of them if its there you simply pull it off before cooking therefor making it more tender .Maybe some body here can explain it better than I can.

One more recipie, It's good if you like i!

Rub on your favorite seasoning(s), place ribs in deep baking pan, cover with apple juice place a lid or foil on pan and slow bake at 225 for 2 to 3 hours. Cover with BBQ Sauce about an hour before serving..................ENJOY! :pig:

I like to dry rub, then brush on bbq sauce and BBQ for a quick sear only, then wrap in foil and slow cook till tender.

The best ones won't be roasted at all, just smoked on the barbecue low and slow.

3-2-1 ribs

to make the ribs tender before you bbq them.. about how long do you put them in the oven with water
OH NO, not rib soup! :mrgreen: I know im a lil bit late on this one, but if i can help someone achieve the perfect ribs in the future, ill have done my duty. This is a lil time consuming, but then again, if ya want good results...... If you have a decent oven thermometer, and a gas grill, try to set it on the lowest setting that you can and try to get 250*-275* If you cant get it this low, just use the oven and skip the wood chips, or go get a smoker. add ribs prepared how ever your heart desires (my personal fav is memphis dry rubbed) and some wood chips in a foil pouch or a chip tray and cook for 3 hours, take out and wrap in foil with a splash of apple juice for 2 hrs. At this point, the meat should be pulling back from the bones. Remove from the foil and put them back onto the grill for another hour, mopping with your choice of sauce on about 10 min intervels. They should be fall off the bone tender and as moist as you ever had.

Hey guys, its great that y'all offered suggestions to Debbie, but you might want to check the date on her initial post. She hasn't been here for a couple of years now.

I know lots of folks will be happy to see your advice though. Just didn't want you to be disappointed when she didn't reply to you.

She hasn't been here for a couple of years now.
I know lots of folks will be happy to see your advice though.

Isnt that the point of this forum, to share advice with others. even if it dont help the original poster, someone will read it eventually and just may find something of value there....right?

Yes smokeyblue it is, did you read the last bit I posted?
Just didn't want you to be disappointed when she didn't reply to you.

Lots of folks check back to see if their response to the OP has been noted. Since this thread is so old I wanted to make sure no one was disappointed. You in particular quoted the OP. Perhaps you'd already noted how old the thread was.

Yes smokeyblue it is, did you read the last bit I posted?

Lots of folks check back to see if their response to the OP has been noted. Since this thread is so old I wanted to make sure no one was disappointed. You in particular quoted the OP. Perhaps you'd already noted how old the thread was.

Bingo, i did say something about being late to post on the thread and am aware of the fact that it is stale. I quoted the OP so that ppl wouldnt be like "WTF?" when i said rib soup refering to boiling ribs. :cool:

I put a rub on the ribs and put them in the smoker. I also add a pan of apple juice in the smoker. I baste the ribs with the apple juice about every 45 min or so. Usually takes about 4 hours at 200-225°. I want the bones loose in the socket. Then paint on the sauce and glaze at 350-400° for maybe ten minutes. Let rest for 15 min, cut up and serve with a bowel of sauce for those who want more.

boil ribs??? in water??? oh no......not that, low, slow with plenty of smoke, don't know what id use the water for...

boil ribs??? in water??? oh no......not that, low, slow with plenty of smoke, don't know what id use the water for...

I have heard of people boiling ribs - I don't know the point of that either. I do put a little water in the bottom of my pan - and I do mean " a very little bit" - not even covering - I was told that it helps steam - I don't know - but I do know they are always very flavorful and very tender - usually falling off the bone. Some people don't like fall off the bone though, fortunately, this family does!

I have heard of people boiling ribs - I don't know the point of that either. I do put a little water in the bottom of my pan - and I do mean " a very little bit" - not even covering - I was told that it helps steam - I don't know - but I do know they are always very flavorful and very tender - usually falling off the bone. Some people don't like fall off the bone though, fortunately, this family does!

i can see a bit in the pan, i use a seperate water pan in my smoker but thats more to help regulate the temp, i like fall off the bone too, if you want to work at it then just cook st louis style.

ribs

2014 and the thread is still delivering.
thanks for the tips
i will dry a dry rub and then bake low at 250 with some apple juice for 2 before grilling
thanks to all,
ted:chef:

Back
Top Bottom