"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-31-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've had the ribs in the oven for about two hours now and have resisted the temptation to peek, I figure another hour and then I'll throw it on the grill. I've gotta tell ya, I couldn't help but feel as if I were ruining the ribs when I smeared them with mustard but I have faith in you folks! :D I'm gonna fire up the grill soon and apply the rub. I'm also using JD Spicy Grilling Sauce, crossing my fingers!!!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
DC - yes, you did ruin the ribs - stick them on the back porch and I will pick them up and eat them for you - I know I am doing a wonderful thing here - really, don't anyone tell me what a GREAT friend I am - I know - I'm on my way DC - PLEASE - don't eat them :P

Another good way to do baby backs with a whole different taste is just with white vinegar salt and pepper - maybe a little five spice ground with a bit of garlic.

Yet another way I like is to use a hot gingerale - Blenheim (I'm not sure of the spelling) has a hot/spicy gingerale and it makes a great marinade along with sliced onions. - Then finish under a broiler or on the grill - if they don't fall off the bone - otherwise they are great as is.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Elf, I knew I could count on you! One thing I love about my friends is that they would never, ever, EVER mislead me! Ever! I'll leave the ribs on the back porch and they will be properly packaged and clearly marked!
I've never heard of spicy ginger ale. Where would I find that? I'm always willing to try something new! :D 8)
Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
WHEW!!!!! DC = I sure am glad you got this message in time - I would hate for your whole family to admitted to intensive care with mustard on ribs poisening!!!!!!!!

If a store has this type of gingerale at all I usually find it with the other gingerale in the mixer section of a grocery store - some stores around here have quit carrying it and WHY I'll never know - it's good to drink too - extra kick - and if I were a bourbon drinker I'm sure would add that "something" to a Jack and ginger!!! - especially with some food like you're going to serve!

OK - I'll be by soon - really, you don't have to send me anything for saving your life 8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Lifter, you can use the aforementioned methods without worry! The ribs are a huge success, I can't pick up a bone without meat falling off! I regret that I didn't have time to use the rub, I'm sure they would taste better. Thanks everyone! :D
Old 12-31-2004, 07:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Don't worry, Elf, I didn't get any ribs either. These d*** heyena's I call family and friends got 'em all. That's okay, I decided to stay home while they go out (I'm avoiding trouble) and am preparing my gourmet BBQ wings for myself! :twisted:
Old 12-31-2004, 10:16 PM   #17

Thanks for the report DC!

I'm going to give the mustard rub a go....

However, I've already "tweaked" this a little...

My rib rack is currently peeled and esconced on a large pot with 10c of boiling water, 3 pkg of dryed onion soup mix, 3T of chopped garlic, 2 oz soya sauce and 1c lemon juice, to soak up some "background flavour" overnight (and this greatly reduces cooking time in the oven)

But am anxious to try out the mustard!

Lifter
Old 01-01-2005, 05:41 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Lifter, here's a very tasty clone of the sauce used in the Bar-B-Barn chain in Montreal, especially if you like them slightly on the sweet side. This recipe calls for parboiling the ribs -- not sure you can do that with a rack, cut it up maybe? I always parboil my ribs; it really lends to their tenderness at the end, but I always buy the "country" style ribs, which may be meatier than the babybacks. Not sure that step would apply here.

Bar-B-Barn Ribs

2 lb Ribs, Parboiled
2 c Brown Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Paprika
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1 c Apple Sauce
1/2 c Lemon Juice
1/2 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Garlic Powder

In a heavy saucepan, mix apple sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt,
pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cinnamon. Over medium-high heat, bring
the sauce to the boiling point and continue boiling for one to two minutes.
Place parboiled ribs in an ovenproof dish and brush liberally with the
sauce. Bake for 45 minutes at 350'F. Turn ribs and bush underside with
remaining sauce. Continue baking for 45 minutes. Serves four.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I'm cooking a monster rack of pork spareribs today since I finally got it right last night. You're tweaking sounds great, Lifter, wish I would have read your post last night! I may try a combination of your method and Catseye's method and will definitely use the rub this time!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #20

The mustard rub method turned out really nice....can't say I ever saw my wife go through that much meat!

My "traditional method" is like this:

12 c boiling water
4 pkg onion soup mix*
8-12 oz lemon juice
4 tbsp garlic, chopped
6 oz soya sauce
2 oz Worcestshire sauce
(optional) .5 oz hot sauce

(* Lipton's Hot 'n spicey onion with garlic, if you can find it!)

Mix above ingredients together in a roaster, bring to low boil

Insert ribs, having "peeled" them

Leave to soak 5-18 hours.

Remove and discard marinade.

"Salt" the ribs with Lowry's Seasoning Salt and garlic powder.

Put into oven at 300 degrees, on grilling pan, and cook slow until done to your taste of how "wet" or "dry" you like "yours" (I like mine drier than do most), generally between 90 and 150 minutes...

I like a simple rice on the side, with a garden salad...fresh fruit pieces as a dessert, if any...

Only my daughter wants the Diana Chicken and Rib sauce, I find this has a flavouring all to itself...

If you like this, and have a deep fryer, I have a RoadHouse Rib Recipe that rocks...but alas have no deep fryer...

Lifter

Tags
None