Pork Roast and Crackling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a query on crackling.

I know that, should the crackling not crisp up well in the oven, that you can finish it off under the grill. I have done this with success (needs close vigilance though since it can quickly burn).

I have a great Jamie Oliver recipe for crackling done in the oven. I usually combine using the oven with something else to cook. Today I would like to cook the remaining pork rind (sold without the meat) but don't want to use the oven since I have nothing else to cook alongside it.

Has anyone tried crisping up a pork rind under the grill from its raw state? Is it possible? If so, some guide as to how low or high the flame should be and for, roughly, how long would be welcome.

By the way, if anyone wants this recipe I would be happy to post it here. The rind is flavoured with crushed fennel seeds, salt and chilli flakes - rubbed in with a little oil into the sliced up rind. Result is a superior 'pork scratchings' - curly, bubbly and VERY crunchy!

Last edited:
Many people use a deep fryer to make cracklings.
When I make a picnic shoulder roast, the crackling is my favorite part.
If its not crispy enough, I remove the skin and return it to the V-Rack to finish/crisp up.

If its not crispy enough, I remove the skin and return it to the V-Rack to finish/crisp up.
I try not to deep fry anything (since I am not exactly slim!) I realise I shouldn't even be eating crackling (if I am that concerned about weight issues) but it is something I really enjoy. A very occasional treat.

I have now had 2nd thoughts on grilling the pork rind from scratch under the grill since it renders a fair bit of oil during cooking. Oil + naked flame is a hazardous combination!

I am very pleased with the recipe though!

Last edited:
You could always go whole hog in a Caja China for nice crackling skin.:angel:

You are thinking of the puffy chicharrones (like puffy cheetos) or pork rinds in English that is deep fried. I think Creative is thinking more along the lines of just crispy pork skin, kind of like crispy chicken skin, which we all know we really shouldn't eat but is SUCH a guilty pleasure! :pig:

I have no clue what a "joint of pork" is, as I was referring to a whole pig.:angel:
Ha yes! Even further removed from what I had in mind but I googled Caja China and it does look like a delicious set up. More suited to major entertaining!

Here, in UK, one of our famous 'sandwiches' is a pork roast roll, made traditionally from a (suckling) pig turned on an outside spit. (It comes with apple sauce, stuffing and ... of course... crackling!)

Just to clarify - I have now decided against going ahead with the idea I posed here.

Last edited:
I have a query on crackling.

I know that, should the crackling not crisp up well in the oven, that you can finish it off under the grill. I have done this with success (needs close vigilance though since it can quickly burn).

I have a great Jamie Oliver recipe for crackling done in the oven. I usually combine using the oven with something else to cook. Today I would like to cook the remaining pork rind (sold without the meat) but don't want to use the oven since I have nothing else to cook alongside it.

Has anyone tried crisping up a pork rind under the grill from its raw state? Is it possible? If so, some guide as to how low or high the flame should be and for, roughly, how long would be welcome.

By the way, if anyone wants this recipe I would be happy to post it here. The rind is flavoured with crushed fennel seeds, salt and chilli flakes - rubbed in with a little oil into the sliced up rind. Result is a superior 'pork scratchings' - curly, bubbly and VERY crunchy!

Actually it can crisp up in the oven. But I am not sure on how to do just the skin. But a slow cook covered in salt then remove salt and add to a hot oven should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7dncvTlCw

I don't understand the concern regarding animal fat and weight gain?
Or that animal fats are unhealthy?
Hasn't science proved this is not correct and those on low carb diets would know much more about this?

I don't understand the concern regarding animal fat and weight gain?
Or that animal fats are unhealthy?
Hasn't science proved this is not correct and those on low carb diets would know much more about this?
Saturated fats have a long history of being bad news, e.g. raising cholesterol levels and thus increasing the risk of heart related diseases. (I already have high blood pressure).

Are you thinking of good fats, e.g. omega 3?

Saturated fats have a long history of being bad news, e.g. raising cholesterol levels and thus increasing the risk of heart related diseases. (I already have high blood pressure).

Are you thinking of good fats, e.g. omega 3?
That way of thinking is becoming more and more outdated.

I can tell you without hesitation that I fully believe saturated fat has gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the last 50 years. I say this from both research and personal experience. For the last two years, I've been eating plenty of it. The diet I'm on has 75% of my calories coming from fat. Yes, 75%.

In addition to olive oil, I also eat plenty of butter, lard, cheese, full-fat cream, and eggs... all the stuff that the medical community has said is bad for you. Turns out it really isn't, and the evidence seems to be mounting. Since cutting out carbs and eating more fat, my cholesterol has gone down and I've dropped over 100 pounds of excess weight. My blood sugar and blood pressure are also now within a normal range. Did I mention that I feel a whole lot better, too?

So I call "baloney" on the so-called experts. :)

Last edited:
That way of thinking is becoming more and more outdated.

I can tell you without hesitation that I fully believe saturated fat has gotten an undeserved bad reputation over the last 50 years. I say this from both research and personal experience. For the last two years, I've been eating plenty of it. The diet I'm on has 75% of my calories coming from fat. Yes, 75%.

In addition to olive oil, I also eat plenty of butter, lard, cheese, full-fat cream, and eggs... all the stuff that the medical community has said is bad for you. Turns out it really isn't, and the evidence seems to be mounting. Since cutting out carbs and eating more fat, my cholesterol has gone down and I've dropped over 100 pounds of excess weight. My blood sugar and blood pressure are also now within a normal range. Did I mention that I feel a whole lot better, too?

So I call "baloney" on the so-called experts. :)
Yes I do recall your experience. Not sure if this would be the same for all though since we all have different constitutions.

Apart from not being attracted to a high fat diet, I wouldn't take the risk anyway since (as mentioned) I have high blood pressure. Also I could NEVER cut out carbs! I love them and am a self confessed
crispaholic!
558648.gif
:blink:
780422031.gif

I am glad you found what works for you though! :)

Last edited:
Yes I do recall your experience. Not sure if this would be the same for all though since we all have different constitutions.

Apart from not being attracted to a high fat diet, I wouldn't take the risk anyway since (as mentioned) I have high blood pressure. Also I could NEVER cut out carbs! I love them and am a self confessed
crispaholic!
558648.gif
:blink:
780422031.gif

I am glad you found what works for you though! :)

If you do eat those fats then you must cut the carbs. The mix is what doesn't work. If you eat a meal of foods with saturated fat mixed with 50% or more carb calories, your body will use the carbs because it gets energy from that easier, and try to store the fats. You end up with excess triglycerides and cholesterol in your blood as a result. (this isn't a medical treatise, just a layman's view from what I've been told by my doctor)

You have to cut way down on the carbs if you really want to safely eat fatty foods on a regular basis. You still can't go crazy with the fats either. Lots of green stuff on the plate is still a necessity.

If you do eat those fats then you must cut the carbs. The mix is what doesn't work. If you eat a meal of foods with saturated fat mixed with 50% or more carb calories, your body will use the carbs because it gets energy from that easier, and try to store the fats. You end up with excess triglycerides and cholesterol in your blood as a result. (this isn't a medical treatise, just a layman's view from what I've been told by my doctor)

You have to cut way down on the carbs if you really want to safely eat fatty foods on a regular basis. You still can't go crazy with the fats either. Lots of green stuff on the plate is still a necessity.

Wow! I'm impressed. You're absolutely right on with your layman's view. That's exactly my understanding as well, and that's pretty much how I eat.

Last edited:

I've never seen a more concise explanation in so few words Rick! Bravo!!

As mentioned I am not attracted to a high fat diet and my intake of fat is pretty low, through vigilance so I don't have the problem you outline here. Also there are many foods that help break down fat absorption ... http://www.rd.com/health/healthy-eating/15-fatburning-foods/

I am overweight not due to fat consumption but because I tend to eat too much - many complex reasons for that e.g. related to my current situation.

I tend to go a bit overboard with green veg, i.e. normally have twice the standard serving. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom