"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pork Roast in Crock Pot???

Have you ever cooked a pork loin roast... one of those big boys, that are very lean- looks like the inside of a pork chop but without the bone? In a crock pot?

I am wondering if it would get all tender and pull apart-y.

Since there is so little fat maybe it would not get tender- what do you think?

When I roast them they are always so dry- and usually a bit tough. If not crock pot- any suggestions?

(edited)

Old 07-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Add liquid, silly. One of your homemade brews for starters would have excellent results.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Well sure- I know what to add and how to flavor etc... have you ever cooked a pork roast in a crock pot?
Old 07-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, and not very well. Mine came out dry too. I think they are better roasted in the oven (hot and fast) or on the grill.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I just did a pork roast in the crock pot the other week. I cooked it all day with onion, garlic, salt, pepper, & enough water to cover it. Now, it was about a 6 pound roast with a good bit of fat marbled throughout. It came out falling apart & tender. Now, if you're refering to a pork loin roast, it's better roasted in the oven.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

I cooked a pork loin roast, lean like yours, in a slow cooker on the lowest setting for about twelve hours. Though it was covered in a flavorful broth, it came out very dry and tough. I would recomend the oven or barbecue, with a meat thermometer, and remove from the heat and put on a platter when the thermometer reads 150 degrees.

The pork may have a hint of pink, but probably not. And it will be tender and juicy. Some on this site have even said to pull it off at 145' F. But that's just a bit rare for me when it comes to pork.

Crewsk; like you, I cooked a pork shoulder that was well marbled with fat. Because the shoulder had the fat and connecting tissue, it came out absolutely wonderful in the slow cooker.

And that my freinds, is my two cents.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Head Chef

Well, I made this All Day Pork Loin Chili after seeing these guys do it on their show http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._32879,00.html

They said, if you want to cook loin in a low and slow recipe, you have to cook it through the dry, tough stage, till it "gives up" and gets all tender and buttery. I made the chili on top of the stove, but yeah, they were right, and this is one of the best chilis I've ever made!

So, braced with that knowledge, I cooked a big hunk of pork loin for 6 hours in the crock, with onions, mushrooms, beef broth, etc. It most certainly seemed dried out and tough midway through the process, but at the end, it fell apart. Which was a negative for me, as I wanted to slice it.

That said, except for the chili, I prefer to lightly poach cubes of pork to add to Hot and Sour Soup, or grill or roast it just to an internal temperature of no higher than 145.

Hmmmmm I hope that didn't seem too confusing or contradictory.

Lee
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I agree with everyone, and thought as much when I made the original post. I was just hoping someone had a trick or two...

Regarding cooking temperature... Sara Moulton says 140. I typically pull out at about 145.... These pork lion roasts are such a good price at Costco I had to try one.
Thanks all.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
Head Chef

I wonder if brining would make a difference in a crockpot?

Lee
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

I do pork loin roast in the crock pot often. I cook it with a beer, to make shredded pork for BBQ sandwiches, or with cream of mushroom soup & dry onion soup mix to eat sliced.
Depending on what I'm using it for, I generally slice it or chunk it up before I put it in. It soaks up more of the juice and cooks faster that way.

Tags
None