Pork Roast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
Here's what I did....I seasoned and browned a pork shoulder roast in my Dutch oven, I threw in some garlic cloves and 1/2 a chopped onion and then gave it a couple of splashes of white wine and popped it in the oven. When I checked on it about 2 hours later, the liquid was thick like gravy WTHeck? Anyone ever have this happen?

Was the roast really fatty? I haven't had this happen either.

Not enough liquid. You need more than a "couple of splashes of white wine..." for a pot roast. The rule is enough liquid so the meat is half to two thirds submerged.

Not enough liquid. You need more than a "couple of splashes of white wine..." for a pot roast. The rule is enough liquid so the meat is half to two thirds submerged.

The meat roasted just fine Andy, with a lid on and at 350F. It was fatty, and still slightly frozen In the middle. I really wasn't trying to "pot roast it" in that sense, had I been, I would have added some stock maybe two cups or so. Anyway the question was about the liquid thickening on it's own, I wonder if it could have been the acid in the wine combined with the fat rendered off that caused the thickening. I would have expected the small amount of liquid to just have cooked off completely. Weird

The meat roasted just fine Andy, with a lid on and at 350F. It was fatty, and still slightly frozen In the middle. I really wasn't trying to "pot roast it" in that sense, had I been, I would have added some stock maybe two cups or so. Anyway the question was about the liquid thickening on it's own, I wonder if it could have been the acid in the wine combined with the fat rendered off that caused the thickening. I would have expected the small amount of liquid to just have cooked off completely. Weird
I think Andy was right about the evaporation. The reduced wine plus drippings from the joint of meat would make a small amount of thick-ish juices. Next time use it to make the gravy.

(NB I'm worried about your statement that the meat was still slightly frozen when the meat was roasted "just fine". Always cook pork thoroughly. I know that the instance of cysticercus infestation in pork is rare in developed countries these days but it still occasionally crops up and you do NOT want a tapeworm living in your gut.)

Last edited:
I think Andy was right about the evaporation. The reduced wine plus drippings from the joint of meat would make a small amount of thick-ish juices. Next time use it to make the gravy.

(NB I'm worried about your statement that the meat was still slightly frozen when the meat was roasted "just fine". Always cook pork thoroughly. I know that the instance of cysticercus infestation in pork is rare in developed countries these days but it still occasionally crops up and you do NOT want a tapeworm living in your gut.)

Oh dear, Mad Cook.....I should have been clearer. What I meant was the roast was still slightly frozen In the middle when I began roasting it ;) lol! It roasted for several hours. Oh and I did use the drippings for gravy. Thanks for your concern though :)

Was it thick, beige and cloudy? Could it have been coagulated blood proteins? If a lot of moisture leached out while it was cooking it probably was...

Rock, I thought so too, but usually the coagulated material isn't smooth. I think the wine may have broken down the coagulants and also the fat and formed a thick smooth fond/sauce.

Oh dear, Mad Cook.....I should have been clearer. What I meant was the roast was still slightly frozen In the middle when I began roasting it ;) lol! It roasted for several hours. Oh and I did use the drippings for gravy. Thanks for your concern though :)
Oh dear, sorry. I tend to be a bit obsessed about this sort of thing

Back
Top Bottom