Pork smaller cube stew meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Posted this elsewhere as well-no idea what to do with pork (not ham meat) cut a tiny bit smaller than beef stew meat.
I know I could grind it and make meat balls but what other choices do I have using this.....hubby deserves something wonderful, but my mind can’t think of anything,
TIA

You could make Greek souvlaki - kebabs marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano and S&P, skewered with bell peppers and onions. Or Chinese stir-fry with whatever vegetables you like.

White chili with tomatillos and green chilies.

Sauté with onions and mushrooms cumin and oregano to make tacos.

Hungarian goulash soup.

Pork stroganoff
informenter-marker-1.png

thanks folks-my dad loved ham hocks and lima beans cooked really slow all day-wonder if I could season meat overnight soak beans too&start this tomorrow-just a thought

Last edited:
If it's a little fatty, pork is delicious in tomato sauce with bell peppers. Sort of a veal and peppers, but with pork.

Here is a favorite pork recipe I have made countless times - probably was Mom's favorite recipe of mine, and she asked for it many times. Today happens to be her birthday, and I almost took a piece of pork butt out of the freezer several days ago to celebrate it, but I wouldn't have had anyone else to eat it with me - maybe another time.

The original recipe I found in the book From Julia Child's Kitchen. It has been tweaked, mainly to use fresh rosemary - the original called for dried thyme. The original recipe called for macerating the meat for "up to" 2 days, but that tenderizes it, and flavors it so well, I don't list that as an option - it's not the same without the 2 days, rubbed down with the salt, garlic, and herbs.

I usually served this with some homemade bread, to sop up the liquid, and some mashed potato/rutabaga combination, that goes great with this.

PORK RAGOUT

2 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder; cut in 1 1/2 in. cubes
2 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh rosemary; minced
1/8 tsp allspice
2-3 clove(s) garlic; chopped
2 tb olive oil
2 cup(s) onions; thinly sliced
1/2 cup(s) dry white vermouth (or other dry white wine)
1 1/2-2 cup(s) fresh tomatoes; peeled, seeded, chopped
2 cup(s) cremini or white mushrooms
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 tb butter
1 pinch salt
1 1/2-2 tb cornstarch
2 tb dry white vermouth
1/4 cup(s) parsley (fresh); chopped
1/4 cup(s) créme frâiche; OR heavy cream

A. Combine the salt, allspice, herbs, and garlic in a mortar and pound to a paste. Combine with the meat in a stainless or ceramic bowl and mix to coat the meat. Press a pieces of plastic wrap onto the surface, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 2 days.

B. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. If pork has exuded juices pat it dry before browning. Heat a large skillet or saute pan over med-high heat, add oil, and brown the meat on all sides, removing pieces to a casserole as they are browned and adding another, until all are browned. If much fat cooked out, remove most of it (I usually have to add more oil as I go, meat has gotten so lean). When meat is all browned, add the onions and cook several minutes, until lightly browned. Deglaze the pan with the vermouth, and pour into the casserole. Add tomatoes, mix well, and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in oven. Bake 1 1/4-1 1/2 hrs., stirring a few times, until meat is tender.

C. Meanwhile, prepare mushrooms: wash and quarter them - if very large (2" or more) cut into sixths. Place in a small saucepan with the lemon juice, water, butter, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer 3 min. Pour liquid into casserole, and set mushrooms aside. Combine the starch and wine and set aside.

When meat is done, skim off any fat (if much cooked off), mix the starch/wine well, and pour most of it in, stirring until thickened, adding the rest if needed. Add mushrooms, and simmer, several minutes, stirring frequently. Off heat, stir in the creme fraiche, and serve, sprinkled with parsley, and with plenty of freshly baked bread, to soak up the sauce.

OPTIONS:

This can also be made using canned tomatoes, drained and chopped. The original herb in the recipe was thyme, which was also good, and I have also made it with a combination of sage and rosemary that was fantastic. If you have no creme fraiche, heavy cream will do, but the creme fraiche makes a difference.

Lol @ no option for the duration of the brine.

Looks Eastern European, or probably closer to the Adriatic, but it could be farther West.

Damn, I need to try this. I love pork shoulder when it's cubed and cooked in/into a gravy.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions folks. Sometimes (probably the same with everyone) the mind goes blank. So early last night, I pictured my chef grandparents in their kitchen as I used to sit on a tiny stool and watch them create for hrs.
Dinner was pleasing to my husband, therefore the night ended with full tummies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom