Pork Spare Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone,

I bought a big rack of Pork Spare Ribs, and don't have any idea how to cook them!!:chef:

I looked at some old threads, and see that "Low and Slow" is best. I'm planning on making these for lunch tomorrow, while my sis and brother in law are here. So i'll probably start them as soon as I wake up in the morning.

I've made ribs one time before.. I don't remember what kind they were, but it was a small rack, and I believe all I did was put them in the crock pot with a bottle of bbq sauce for a few hours..

This is a pretty big rack, so if I did it in the crock pot, they'd have to be laying ontop of eachother (which I'd think would be okay..) But I know I could also do it in the oven.

Any suggestions on what I should do? :)

Put a dry rub on both sides...Gazillions of recipes can be found....Set your oven in the 225* range....Lay the ribs directly on the rack in the middle of your stove...Place a cookie sheet/foil etc underneath to catch any drippings....Let them cook....No peeking!! Somewhere in the 4 1/2 hour range + or - they will be done...The last 15 minutes you can sauce them with your favorite sauce...Let them rest for a few minutes...slice and serve!

It's easy --- Have Fun --- And Enjoy!

I actually make mine in the slow cooker, with mesquite rub with salt and pepper, and homemade bbq sauce. I cook it for 6-8 hours and they turn out absolutely amazing.

Okay Uncle Bob. I just finished putting a rub on em, put em right on the rack, with a cookie sheet on the shelf bellow to catch drippings. How are these going to be different then ribs that are wrapped in foil when cooked? On the recipe that I got my dry rub from, they said to wrap in foil with a tablespoon of water. Will doing it this way make them more crispy?

I just noticed I don't have any BBQ sauce either. Will just any kind of sauce be good with these?

Thanks for the help!!

The ribs cooked without the foil will have somewhat a different (better IMO) texture than those cooked in foil...In the foil they are steaming/braising...not unlike they would be in a crock pot. --- Cooking them like you are is closely replicating what is happening in a BBQ pit...Meat cooked with a low, dry heat for a long period of time. Be patient...in time they will be tender...not mushy....just tender meat...

No sauce?? Goggle Homemade BBQ sauces...You'll see hundreds...Follow them, and use what you have on hand...Oil, spices, Ketchup, brown sugar, honey etc, etc, etc. Add the sauce/glaze during the last 15-20 minutes...Watch closely...those with a lot of sugar may want to burn....

Enjoy!!!!

Put a dry rub on both sides...Gazillions of recipes can be found....

Just a side note on the rubs-

I started making my own from scratch, following recipes for different rubs....until I noticed I was severly depleting my spice collection.

Unless there's a specific rub recipe I would like to try, I just use the prepared ones. Those Grill Mates rubs are pretty good, and if you want to add a little bit more of a certain flavor, you can.

Well, the ribs are done cooking, I made a BBQ sauce, and brushed it on during the last 20 min, cut them up, wrapped in foil, and placed back in the oven on warm. We were still too stuffed from breakfast, so we moved the meal to Supper.

This is the rub I used:

Dry Rub Pork Ribs Recipe : Recipezaar

And this is the BBQ sauce I made, I used Constances' recipe at the bottom:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/recipes-for-bbq-sauce-28948.html

I havn't decided what to make with the ribs.. I've made baked beans to go with it, but I need something else.

I made this bread in my bread machine today:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/honey-butter-bread-53927.html

It turned out SOO GOOD!! So we'll have that with our supper too.

I just love this website... Don't know what i'd do without everyone here's help, and willingness to share awesome recipies. Thank you!

Wow!! Ya done good Miss BC --- So good in fact, I'm headed your way, and should be there just about supper time...If not y'all go ahead and start without me! Some tator salad or some slaw would be good...or maybe both!!:pig:

lol, Come on over! I've got enough ribs, that's for sure!

Unfortunatly, Neither of us like cole slaw, and i've never made potatoe salad. I'll have to find a recipe for it and try to make it someday..

Note to self:

When dieting, stay out of the pork and BBQ threads.
img_770253_0_8ed136c575ed255cf0c3a43f9812ce2a.gif
img_770253_1_3dce9a6e2daac88b05a13dae743d1308.gif

lol, Come on over! I've got enough ribs, that's for sure!

Unfortunatly, Neither of us like cole slaw, and i've never made potato salad. I'll have to find a recipe for it and try to make it someday..

Well shoot...maybe just bake some tators...Then again with the ribs, beans, and bread ya don't need anything else...Well, except maybe some Chocolate ice cream for dessert;)

:chef: Everything turned out awesome!!!

I was very impressed with how the ribs turned out. It was a tad spicy for me, but everyone else disagreed. They all loved it. It was so tender, which really surprised me since it wasn't covered with foil or anything. The barbeque sauce was VERY good! I've never made my own BBQ sauce before. The recipe I used was very easy, and tasted just as good as any bottled kind i've tried.

I ended up making the baked beans and 'Dirty Mash' that I'd just read about a couple days ago on here.

Then of course, more of that wonderful Honey Butter Bread! :pig:

It was a very good dinner, if I do say so myself!!!

Thanks to all of you!!!!!:)

Uncle Bob said:
Put a dry rub on both sides...Gazillions of recipes can be found....Set your oven in the 225* range....Lay the ribs directly on the rack in the middle of your stove...Place a cookie sheet/foil etc underneath to catch any drippings....Let them cook....No peeking!! Somewhere in the 4 1/2 hour range + or - they will be done...The last 15 minutes you can sauce them with your favorite sauce...Let them rest for a few minutes...slice and serve!

It's easy --- Have Fun --- And Enjoy!

Hmm, I would be afraid they would dry out- I'm interested in trying this method though! I usually put the ribs on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, put some water in the bottom of the sheet and cover the whole thing with tin foil. I bake at 300 for 2 hrs. They turn out fall off the bone tender. Just curious, do you think putting liquid smoke in the water would lend any flavor to the meat? I have been planning to try this the next time I make ribs. Any thoughts on that?

Hmm, I would be afraid they would dry out- I'm interested in trying this method though! I usually put the ribs on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, put some water in the bottom of the sheet and cover the whole thing with tin foil. I bake at 300 for 2 hrs. They turn out fall off the bone tender. Just curious, do you think putting liquid smoke in the water would lend any flavor to the meat? I have been planning to try this the next time I make ribs. Any thoughts on that?
Sure, liquid smoke would definitly work if you like the flavor of it. I have tried exactly that. The meat shouldn't dry out at 225. That is the general temp for smokers and the minimum you can cook things while allowing the bacteria to be killed. I think one thing you should keep in mind is the thickness of your ribs, and fat content. These things will need to be considered when figuring out your cooking time.

Back
Top Bottom