Pork Spareribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
Hi i have a 3 1/2lb pork sparerib and i'm looking for a simple way to cook. This will be my 1st time cooking spareribs. I did country style ribs before where i boiled it and then cooked in the oven with bbq sauce and we loved it. Anyway I didnt marinade or anything yet. I am open to options for cooking it in the oven or on the grill. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

I'm copying this recipe from my web site for you. To my taste, these are the easiest and tastiest ribs you can make without a smoker!

City Ribs
Almost everyone loves to eat ribs, but if you live in the city, you very likely have no place to cook out-of-doors. This recipe could be made on a grill, but is really designed to be cooked indoors, started on the cooktop and finished in the oven, using a ridged grill pan and heavy-duty aluminum foil. This recipe serves 2 to 4 people, depending upon how much meat you have. I prefer "country-style" ribs because they are meatier, but you can use baby back ribs if you prefer. The marinade recipe was a gift from my friend Chemayne Valdez. I turned it into a sauce, as well!

1 pound country-style pork ribs per person (you can use "regular" ribs if you prefer)
Marinade (see below)
2 tablespoons extra-thick tomato paste (imported from Italy, it comes in a tube)
1/2 cup red table wine

Marinade:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup low-sodium tamari sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons top-quality Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1. Blend marinade ingredients together in a bowl or large measuring cup.
  • Cut the ribs into serving-sized pieces and place in a large zip-lock freezer bag. Pour the marinade over the meat and zip the bag. Allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or as long as overnight.

• 2. Remove the meat from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you're ready to start cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. Carefully remove the meat from the zip lock bag, reserving all the marinade in the bag. Dry the ribs on paper towels.

• 3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pour the remaining marinade from the bag into a small saucepan. Over low heat, bring the marinade to a boil. In a small bowl, blend the tomato paste and wine. Add this mixture to the boiling marinade. Allow the mixture to simmer until reduced and fairly thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.

• 4. Spray the grill pan well with vegetable oil. (I use a Misto.) Place the grill pan on a burner and have a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil ready.
  • Season the ribs well with salt and pepper and place them in the hot pan, "pretty side" down. Cook until nicely browned. Turn the ribs over and spoon some of the sauce liberally on the ribs. Cover the pan with the foil, shiny side in, and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

• 5. Using a mitten on the pan handle, remove the pan from the oven, and turn the ribs over. Add more sauce. Cover again and bake for 20 minutes more. Remove from oven and allow ribs to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. BE CAREFUL! That handle is HOT

Rub your rib rack with a mix of brown sugar and coarse black pepper. Wrap tightly in foil and put in a roasting pan. Roast @300* for 2 hours. Unwrap.
Either cut them into 2 rib segments, dip in BBQ sauce and grill over a medium fire turning, until nice and crispy and brown.
Or cut into 1 or 2 rib segments, dip in BBQ sauce and roast, fat side up, in a 400* oven until crispy and brown.

thank you guys for the recipes.

gretchen i'm considering your recipe so far but its so hard to say this but i ran out of black pepper. I'll dig thru my pantry to make sure i dont have any hiding in the back but as of right now is there something else i can do if i dont have black pepper? Also after roasting can i just bbq the entire rack and brush on bbq sauce?

Debbie, there really isn't any substitute for pepper. Can't you run out to the store and get some?

There's really lots of uses for it...

:( i really cant, my 1 yr old is asleep and not due up from his nap until about 3 and by then i'm sure my 2 1/2 yr old will be asleep and i want to have oven part done by atleast 4:30pm. I know its horrible not to have black pepper but it totally slipped my mind when i went grocery shopping. :'(

I have whole peppercorns would that work if i ground them up?

Last edited:
debbie24 said:
...I have whole peppercorns would that work if i ground them up?

That would be the best! Grind them fine rather than coarse. Freshly ground black pepper is much more flavorful than the pre-ground stuff.

ok i have Lawry's seasoned pepper-colorful coarse ground blend. It contains black pepper, red bell pepper, sugar & spices but they dont say what those spices are. Do you think i could use this? thanks.

thanks Andy. whew thats a relief. Ok last question when you say rub the rib with a blend of brown sugar and black pepper. How much of a coating am i looking for? any approx measurements for a 3 1/2lb rack? I'm such a newbie at cooking so its hard to guess when you dont have too much experience. Thanks.

When you rub the ribs, only so much will stick. Make about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of rub - it will be plenty.

ChefJune's recipe reminds me of ribs my neighbor made - they were yummy. I think she even told me there were times she used vinegar only and nothing else, well, except salt and pepper.

When I think of a slab of pork ribs I think of my mother baking them over a skillet of sauerkraut - YUM!

Last edited:
Thanks kitchenelf, I did what i thought was good i think it was a about 1/2 c of rub. I also made flan for dessert. cute avatar!

Just cook it long and slow....300 degrees for about 3 hours. No need to boil ribs ever if you cook them long and slowly enough.

VeraBlue said:
Just cook it long and slow....300 degrees for about 3 hours. No need to boil ribs ever if you cook them long and slowly enough.
I agree...not need to boil. I wrap them in foil with the dry rub. Cook 3 hrs. at 300 or so on a baking sheet. Nearing the end of cooking time I open them up and cover with homemade bbq sauce. They fall off the bone and are just yummy. I like to serve mine with baked beans (I do mine in the crockpot) and coleslaw. Cornbread side.

MmMMmm they were so good. I baked for 2 hours then grilled on the bbq turning 2 times and brushed on bbq sauce with each turn. They fell off the bone and was nice and crisp from the bbq with the great grill marks. Will definately do again. We had it with mashed potatoes and some mac and cheese and flan for dessert. i know i needed some veggies on the plate but oh well the meal was great without it.

With the country style ribs that i boil. I boil them with some seasonings in the water for about 1/2 hour and then bake in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes and they just fall apart. My fam loves it this way. Its great when i dont have much time or if i forget to defrost overnight and need to cook and defrost in the same day, definate time saver and i love how it tastes with adding the seasonings to the water.

Thanks everyone for all the help, i can always depend on you guys when i need an idea quick. :)

elaine l said:
I agree...not need to boil. I wrap them in foil with the dry rub. Cook 3 hrs. at 300 or so on a baking sheet. Nearing the end of cooking time I open them up and cover with homemade bbq sauce. They fall off the bone and are just yummy. I like to serve mine with baked beans (I do mine in the crockpot) and coleslaw. Cornbread side.

When's dinnner??:rolleyes:

ChefJune

What is the brand name of your grill pan? Thanks for recipe sounds like serious cooking. What did you serve with them?

Back
Top Bottom