Pork Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJTanner

Assistant Cook
Hi. I am new to forums, so I apologize if I appear to be a total ditz. I bought a pork shoulder roast and found a delicious sounding recipe for a stew. The recipe instructs me to use a slow cooker. Don't have one. It says to cook on high for 1 hr then on low for 1 hr. Can I just slow cook it on top of the stove in a dutch oven? If so, how long should I cook it and how high should the heat be? Thanks

Welcome to DC.

Yes. Absolutely. Pots on the stove came long before slow cookers.

Once you assemble the stew, just bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for an hour and check to see if the meat is tender. How long you have to cook it depends on how big the pieces of meat are.

Welcome. Andy has great advice there for you already. And, don't worry, we all feel a little ditzy at times. Glad you are here.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I got some great advice from all of you. I'm going to try it today. Hopefully, after I try this, I'll only be the 3rd worst cook in Los Angeles.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I got some great advice from all of you. I'm going to try it today. Hopefully, after I try this, I'll only be the 3rd worst cook in Los Angeles.
Do you know the other two;)? Let us know how it works out! I like making Posole in the fall--here's a link to one recipe, but there are tons of them on the Internet. You have to soak the hominy if you use dry for a good 48 hours. A Classic Posole Recipe to Prepare Posole at Home.

I use the blue hominy (which is hard to get here in Canada--I mail order it from a place in Idaho).

You could also bake it in the oven at about 350 degrees until the meat was falling apart tender, I would say about 3 hours or so. Cover it the first hour/hour and a half, then remove the cover until it is done.

Back
Top Bottom