Pork Tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
Okay folks...I'm winging it today....I have a pork tenderloin which I sliced about 1" thick and it's now marinating in buttermilk. I thought I'd let the bmilk drip off then put the pieces in panko crumbs....fry it quickly, but....I really would like some kind of sauce or gravy.....that's what my dh will ask for.....any ideas for me?.....thanks in advance

Hmmm - it sounds like a really good idea, ella. If you keep the fried cutlets warm in the oven after they are cooked, you should be able to make a pretty good gravy from the pan drippings if you've used enough fat. I think I would use a combo of butter/oil. The crumbs should brown well, giving you some color. Just add butter if necessary, make a roux by adding about 1/4 cup of flour, then add water or broth. Cook until the flour taste is gone and the gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes. Be good with some homemade applesauce, too. And garlic mashed potatoes.....ok, now I am hungry.

I do what Karen say's only instead of water I use a little broth and then add some fresh lemon juice and about a 1/4 cup of white wine...Add some freshly chopped Italian parley and finely minced garlic, let the sauce reduce a little add a pat of butter then put over the meat.
kadesma:)

You'll have to let us know how that turns out! My mouth is watering already!

I think I'd make a milk gravy instead of using broth or water...or saute some sweet onions in the fat and then make a gravy with broth or water.

Those would be good braised after browning, then with a pan gravy from the braising liquid.

Okay, here's what I did.....I drained the medallions and then rolled them in the panko crumbs. This particular brand of panko was quite dense, heavy, and that made for a good breading. I did them in a mixture of olive oil and butter until they were a dark beige. Kept them warm in a very low oven while I made the "gravy"....I cleaned out the pan, then made a roux with butter and flour.....my flour for making this always has a good amount of Emeril's Essence in it. I then added some low salt chicken broth, white wine, a bit of dijon and a little squeeze of tomato paste from the tube. I'm sure I'll never be able to duplicate this again, but that's okay, it tasted so good on the pork and next time it will too....LOL

Those would be good braised after browning, then with a pan gravy from the braising liquid.

IMO you should never braise a pork tenderloin. That would be like braising a filet mignon. Braising is a technique for tougher cuts of meat. The long slow cooking takes a tough cut and makes it tender. It would just dry out tenderloin.

A bit late in the game, but I slowly fry some onions in butter and oil till soft and only slightly browned. Push them to one side in the pan or remove if too many. Add the tenderloin medallions and fry till cooked in the same fat. Add green peppercorns in brine (drain brine) to taste and return onions to pan to reheat and take on flavour of peppercorns. Add cream to make sauce directly to pan with everything still in it. And voilà. I love this with slices of courgette fried in olive oil. Too much oil and cream I guess, but once in a blue moon isn't too bad... I hope.

I do pork tenderloin this way. Brown well on all sides in butter/oil combo. Remove from pan and let cool a bit. Then spread dijon over the top and sides , sprinkle with 2 tsp. of fennel seed .I add a little more oil to the skillet and saute one large onion sliced, and 2 med. Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced until they are golden. Put the pork on top adn roast in the oven (425) for 30 to 45 mins. Transfer pork to a platter and add 1/2 cup dry white wine to the skillet. Stir over high heat until reduced slightly, about 2-3 mins. This is sooo good. Hope some one tries it.

Back
Top Bottom