"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pork tenderloin for tomorrow

I'm a little stretched between cooking it with a sprinkle of seasonings or marinating it with some lemon something or other marinade I bought the other day.

Right now it's frozen and I won't be able to take it out of the freezer till about 11:30-12:00. I originally bought the marinade for some chicken I have in the freezer as well (gotta love good sales!).

It's in a vacuum sealed package and I was thinking maybe I could stick it in some lukewarm water in the sink or something, or should I steer away from that?

I want to cube it up before cooking. I'm a lasy *#$ and wjen food is ready to be eaten, I just wanna sit down and eat it. LOL! Would it be better to cook whole for flavor or could I cube it?

Any and all suggestions welcomed and than you all in advance!

Clutch

Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

The only suggestion I will give you is to NOT put it in luke warm water. That is a recipe for getting sick.

The quickest way to safely thaw something is to put it under cold running water. believe it or not, this is a very quick way of thawing food. As a matter of fact if you put an ice cube in an over at 500 degrees and another under cold running water it is the one under the water that will melt first. Since your pork is vacuum packed then this will be easy. Stick it in a bowl and fill with cold water. Either change the water every 30 minutes or leave the faucet running a little. The meat will thaw in 30-60 minutes give or take.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I'm a little stretched between cooking it with a sprinkle of seasonings or marinating it with some lemon something or other marinade I bought the other day.

Right now it's frozen and I won't be able to take it out of the freezer till about 11:30-12:00. I originally bought the marinade for some chicken I have in the freezer as well (gotta love good sales!).

It's in a vacuum sealed package and I was thinking maybe I could stick it in some lukewarm water in the sink or something, or should I steer away from that?

I want to cube it up before cooking. I'm a lasy *#$ and wjen food is ready to be eaten, I just wanna sit down and eat it. LOL! Would it be better to cook whole for flavor or could I cube it?

Any and all suggestions welcomed and than you all in advance!

Clutch
Clutch, one of the things I've done in the past is to mix up a marinade and put it in a zipper-lock freezer bag, or in your case a vacuum-sealed one, then added the meat. I put it all in the freezer, then when I'm ready to cook the meat, I let it thaw in the refrigerator with ample time to cook. It thaws and marinades at the same time. Lots of my work is done even before I have to think about it.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Bourbon, Apple juice, bruised sage, cracked black pepper, and a little soy oil to stretch and help coat. Marinate overnight. As far as the cooking method, sky is the limit. For a topping, I like caramelized onion, granny smith apple, and bourbon(or even cognac)soaked dried cherry compote.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef

thaw it overnite in the fridge ... then tomorrow in cold water if still stiff

rub with dijon mustard chopped garlic and rosemary and roast in the oven (375 to 400) test with instant read thermometer (after 1/2 hour) to a temp of 155* should be gently pink inside really good that way.

slice into medalions and sautee after an hour marinating as you choose. also very good that way
Old 02-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
The only suggestion I will give you is to NOT put it in luke warm water. That is a recipe for getting sick.

The quickest way to safely thaw something is to put it under cold running water. believe it or not, this is a very quick way of thawing food. As a matter of fact if you put an ice cube in an over at 500 degrees and another under cold running water it is the one under the water that will melt first. Since your pork is vacuum packed then this will be easy. Stick it in a bowl and fill with cold water. Either change the water every 30 minutes or leave the faucet running a little. The meat will thaw in 30-60 minutes give or take.
Will do, I'll be up for a few hours playing Lost Planet so even if it takes a little longer it'll be cool (no pun intended).

The vacuum sealed bag is the one it came in from the store. We're working on getting a vacuum sealer thing soon.

My wife (I might as well call her that ) and I are in the process of buying all the things we'll need when we move out ahead of time and despite the fact the her mother has 3 "Get the He77 Out" boxes. We really don't want all that old stuff. I mean, there are a few things there we'll keep for a while, but the rest might as well be in the garbage.

Okay, back on topic. When I cook the pork, should I leave it whole and cook it, or can I cut it up and cook it like that? Will cutting it up affect the flavor?

EDIT: thanks Robo. Sounds good. I'm going to thaw it tonight and decide on how I'm gonna cook it. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I just roasted about 8 pounds of pork loin tonight, at 200 degrees for about 2.5-3 hours. I raosted it till it hit 160F internal temp. I just dry rubbed with salt and pepper melange, and let it sit for about an hour in the fridge before roasting. It turned out very flavor, juicy, and tender.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
We really don't want all that old stuff. I mean, there are a few things there we'll keep for a while, but the rest might as well be in the garbage.
Hey, Clutch. You might want to look into Freecycle.org to get rid of stuff without spending a cent. It's free and there are groups all over the country. There's probably one near you. I've gotten rid of the most bizarre things here. Folks pick your stuff up and you don't have to do a thing.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Eh, I was thinking we'd just leave the stuff we don't want for the next person who leaves the house. LOL!!! Thanks tho.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Master Chef

Clutch I've found the quickest way to unthaw for me vs. microwave defrost which I try to avoid is putting the meat in a bowl and covering it with water and sprinkling a generous amount of Morton Salt on it and putting it back in the refrigerator. If you do this now then it will be thawed by tomorrow afternoon. I do this all the time. Oh....and I leave it in the vaccum seal.

For this type of meat I like to let it marinate for a minimum of 3 hours though so the flavors penetrate the meat. Others have gave some great suggestions on flavoring and I plan to try them out myself next time.

Tags
None