Pork tenderloin for tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clutch

Washing Up
I'm a little stretched between cooking it with a sprinkle of seasonings or marinating it with some lemon something or other marinade I bought the other day.

Right now it's frozen and I won't be able to take it out of the freezer till about 11:30-12:00. I originally bought the marinade for some chicken I have in the freezer as well (gotta love good sales!).

It's in a vacuum sealed package and I was thinking maybe I could stick it in some lukewarm water in the sink or something, or should I steer away from that?

I want to cube it up before cooking. I'm a lasy *#$ and wjen food is ready to be eaten, I just wanna sit down and eat it. LOL! Would it be better to cook whole for flavor or could I cube it?

Any and all suggestions welcomed and than you all in advance!

Clutch

The only suggestion I will give you is to NOT put it in luke warm water. That is a recipe for getting sick.

The quickest way to safely thaw something is to put it under cold running water. believe it or not, this is a very quick way of thawing food. As a matter of fact if you put an ice cube in an over at 500 degrees and another under cold running water it is the one under the water that will melt first. Since your pork is vacuum packed then this will be easy. Stick it in a bowl and fill with cold water. Either change the water every 30 minutes or leave the faucet running a little. The meat will thaw in 30-60 minutes give or take.

Clutch said:
I'm a little stretched between cooking it with a sprinkle of seasonings or marinating it with some lemon something or other marinade I bought the other day.

Right now it's frozen and I won't be able to take it out of the freezer till about 11:30-12:00. I originally bought the marinade for some chicken I have in the freezer as well (gotta love good sales!).

It's in a vacuum sealed package and I was thinking maybe I could stick it in some lukewarm water in the sink or something, or should I steer away from that?

I want to cube it up before cooking. I'm a lasy *#$ and wjen food is ready to be eaten, I just wanna sit down and eat it. LOL! Would it be better to cook whole for flavor or could I cube it?

Any and all suggestions welcomed and than you all in advance!

Clutch

Clutch, one of the things I've done in the past is to mix up a marinade and put it in a zipper-lock freezer bag, or in your case a vacuum-sealed one, then added the meat. I put it all in the freezer, then when I'm ready to cook the meat, I let it thaw in the refrigerator with ample time to cook. It thaws and marinades at the same time. Lots of my work is done even before I have to think about it.

Bourbon, Apple juice, bruised sage, cracked black pepper, and a little soy oil to stretch and help coat. Marinate overnight. As far as the cooking method, sky is the limit. For a topping, I like caramelized onion, granny smith apple, and bourbon(or even cognac)soaked dried cherry compote.

thaw it overnite in the fridge ... then tomorrow in cold water if still stiff

rub with dijon mustard chopped garlic and rosemary and roast in the oven (375 to 400) test with instant read thermometer (after 1/2 hour) to a temp of 155* should be gently pink inside really good that way.

slice into medalions and sautee after an hour marinating as you choose. also very good that way

GB said:
The only suggestion I will give you is to NOT put it in luke warm water. That is a recipe for getting sick.

The quickest way to safely thaw something is to put it under cold running water. believe it or not, this is a very quick way of thawing food. As a matter of fact if you put an ice cube in an over at 500 degrees and another under cold running water it is the one under the water that will melt first. Since your pork is vacuum packed then this will be easy. Stick it in a bowl and fill with cold water. Either change the water every 30 minutes or leave the faucet running a little. The meat will thaw in 30-60 minutes give or take.

Will do, I'll be up for a few hours playing Lost Planet so even if it takes a little longer it'll be cool (no pun intended).

The vacuum sealed bag is the one it came in from the store. We're working on getting a vacuum sealer thing soon.

My wife (I might as well call her that :LOL: ) and I are in the process of buying all the things we'll need when we move out ahead of time and despite the fact the her mother has 3 "Get the He77 Out" boxes. We really don't want all that old stuff. I mean, there are a few things there we'll keep for a while, but the rest might as well be in the garbage.

Okay, back on topic. When I cook the pork, should I leave it whole and cook it, or can I cut it up and cook it like that? Will cutting it up affect the flavor?

EDIT: thanks Robo. Sounds good. I'm going to thaw it tonight and decide on how I'm gonna cook it. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow.

I just roasted about 8 pounds of pork loin tonight, at 200 degrees for about 2.5-3 hours. I raosted it till it hit 160F internal temp. I just dry rubbed with salt and pepper melange, and let it sit for about an hour in the fridge before roasting. It turned out very flavor, juicy, and tender.

Clutch said:
We really don't want all that old stuff. I mean, there are a few things there we'll keep for a while, but the rest might as well be in the garbage.

Hey, Clutch. You might want to look into Freecycle.org to get rid of stuff without spending a cent. It's free and there are groups all over the country. There's probably one near you. I've gotten rid of the most bizarre things here. Folks pick your stuff up and you don't have to do a thing.

Eh, I was thinking we'd just leave the stuff we don't want for the next person who leaves the house. LOL!!! Thanks tho.

Clutch I've found the quickest way to unthaw for me vs. microwave defrost which I try to avoid is putting the meat in a bowl and covering it with water and sprinkling a generous amount of Morton Salt on it and putting it back in the refrigerator. If you do this now then it will be thawed by tomorrow afternoon. I do this all the time. Oh....and I leave it in the vaccum seal.

For this type of meat I like to let it marinate for a minimum of 3 hours though so the flavors penetrate the meat. Others have gave some great suggestions on flavoring and I plan to try them out myself next time.

college_cook said:
I just roasted about 8 pounds of pork loin tonight, at 200 degrees for about 2.5-3 hours. I raosted it till it hit 160F internal temp. I just dry rubbed with salt and pepper melange, and let it sit for about an hour in the fridge before roasting. It turned out very flavor, juicy, and tender.

I'll just point out that the original post is about tenderloin not loin of pork--very very different cuts.

And if you took it out at 165* and it was tender and juicy, you are getting very different pork loins than we do. Ours are SO lean that cooking to that temp would make them overdone and dry.
I remove them at 145* and let rest for a final temp of 155* (rosy and juicy), IF I even roast a pork loin any more. They are just not real good, in my opinion. I much prefer a braise prep for pork loins any more. Lots more flavor. ;o)

I agree, pull them out at 145 and let them rise to 155 (the one thing I learned from food network. That "Good Eats" guy is great!).

I'm prolly gonna just go with slicing it up and giving it a quick rub with something. I just want to make it quick.

Well, I have my tenderloins marinating in a lemon pepper and garlic marinade and I'm gonna cook them up tonight. I'm just unsure as to how I am going to cook them. I would rather not sit around for 2-3 hours waiting for them to cook in the oven. Any ideas? I haven't cut nor do I want to cut them until after cooking them.

I could, but it would be a mess and a half. Plus the grill is out of the question. It's only about 25* out ATM and I won't be cooking until about 11:30PM-12:00AM, it won't be better than 18* out than.

My only choices right now are either stove top or oven. I'll prolly be up till 2 or 3 in the morning, but I don't want to spend that whole time waiting for food to cook. I'm going out tonight after I get out of work to get a thermometer so I can check the temp to make sure it's cooked right.

I dunno what to do. I might just wait one more day. I gotta go to the Chinese market anyway, cause we are out of rice. I wanted to cook it in the oven, cut it into strips and serve it over the rice to begin with.

Well, the tenderloin has been in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours @ 200* and I just checked the temp. It's at about 130*. I'm gonna give it a little bit longer and than will come the moment of truth. I'll be honest, I'm normally not scared or nervous when it comes to foods I decide to cook, but the lemon garlic and pepper marinade is what is worrying me. I'll be sure to let y'all know how it comes out. Later!

Clutch

Well, Cooked the tenderloins in the oven to 155*. Took them out and had a piece off the end. Not bad, but not as good as I had hoped. I went to give Crystal a piece, but she had fallen asleep waiting for it to cook. She also missed out on my spinach too. :'-( I put it all away and went to bed.

The next day for dinner I decided to cut it into medalions and heat them in a skillet with some EVOO. I put a splash of EVOO in the pan heated it and tossed about a dozen medalions in. Seared them on each side to a nice golden brown, put them over rice and brought them to the hospital for Crystal (we both work there). She liked them, but is very finikey about steaks and meat cuts. She had to sit and pull off the thin strips of fat around the medalions. I kept telling her that is the best part and all she said was I don't wanna get fat. Like I wouldn't love her either way. LOL!

Over all, she liked them and I liked them, but I think next time, I'm gonna marinate them with something with a little more bite. The lemon garlic and cracked papper would ahve been better on either chicken or fish. I may use some A1 New York style steak sauce next time.

Pork Tenderloin

Little late but I did a couple Pork tenderloins the other night, very tender and tasty. I put them in a teriyaki marinated I made for the afternoon. Then blotted them dry and seasoned w/dry rub. heated my pan to med-hi with a little oil. Seared all for sides mabye 10 mins, then put them in 450' oven for 20 mins. Sons favorite! I buy these alot when they go on sale. (In the summer I dry rub them and put on grill, 10 mins. each on all four sides -- Done)

Back
Top Bottom